Disable International Shipping

brentk7
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to have an option to disable shipping anywhere outside of the US.  The reason being is that I would like International customers to contact us directly so we can set up proper shipping and customs procedures.

Is there a way to completely disable shipping outside of the US?  Basically so it will force them to contact us.

I thought I had this figured out when under "Shipping Calculator" > "Shipping Calculator" I had the Region set to "All States and Territories".  I figured it would not allow purchasing from outside the US.  But yesterday an order was placed from Canada and sadly it did not apply any shipping rates to the product.

Thanks for the help.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

alcush
Contributor
Contributor

My first foray into international shipping was a dismal failure. After mailing a package on June 16, it bounced from the US to Canada, through customs, back to Ny, back to Canada, and finally arrived back at my house on July 28.  I mailed it back out on Monday.  The tracking number is one that has been used before.  Therefore, it only shows the previous information.  Says my package was deliverd October 2, 2008.  ',:-(  After multiple contact here and abroad, all I can do, again, is wait.  Never again!

Login to Me Too

marhar
New Community Member

I just discovered that I can't ship First Class International anymore from someone's post. The customer service folks at PayPal and eBay don't even know that. Since both companies (I know, it's all eBay) make sure that no one can ever get in contact with them, how do I register my disapproval of losing this feature?

Login to Me Too

lovaday
New Community Member

Have you been able to figure out how to disable the international shipping? I just had the same darned thing happen! Bogus.

Login to Me Too

t5e
Contributor
Contributor

I wondered the same thing. I haven't found how to disable that option, but there is a way to not accept payments from non-US accounts.  Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a shot:

1. Click the Profile subtab.
2. The Profile Summary page opens.
3. In the Selling Preferences column, click the Payment Receiving Preferences link.
4. The Payment Receiving Preferences page opens.
5. Scroll down to the Block payments from users who section, as shown below.
6. Select Have non-U.S. PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

The shipping calculations settings allow for you to offer different options to buyers from different states, regions, and countries, but it will not allow exclusions that prevent the payment from happening until they contact you. You can do as t5e explained and block payments from non-U.S. accounts, but you will not be able to accept their payments at all, not even by invoice.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

WHIMPEYD
Contributor
Contributor

How do I disable International everything (without conditions)?  No international payments, no international shipping options?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

WHIMPEYD
Contributor
Contributor

BTW - I have checked the box to disallow Int'l PayPal Accounts, but don't know if that will do the trick since people can still type in an international address when using a credit card without a PayPal account.

Help, please!  Really need to prevent customers from having an Int'l shipping option at all...

Login to Me Too

TheMandalaLady
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Quite frankly this fails to help me or from other people's postings (and frustration) on this topic.

Many people I know want to ship only within the U.S. How can we successfully use paypal's merchant services (which except for this issue works quite well) when it's made so difficult for us to use.

The suggestion offered about blocking non US paypal accounts sets up a loop hole for someone who has a US paypal account but is currently living abroad. The blocking options have too many loop holes.

A simple 'no international shipping' checkbox on the shipping setup page would be great. PayPal developers can add code to compare the shipping address to the checkbox status and prevent the order from going through.

- Maureen

Login to Me Too

MizzyWomack
Contributor
Contributor

Olivia,

I really hope you respond as this seems to be quite a vexing issue for a lot of people on PayPal.

Thank you in advance for your help.

It seems to me that what you are suggesting is to go ahead and accept the international payment and then contact the buyer directly afterward and tell them they need to now pay shipping? That seems crazy to me and a recipe for bad customer relations. Can't PayPal just make it possible to ship to certain countries and exclude the rest?

Well, if this is how its gotta be, is there at least an option where I can put a message somewhere in the payment page alerting international buyers that I am going to need to bill them again for shipping? I don't see anywhere where I can add any sort of message in the checkout page.

This all seems quite ludicrous to me, but I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.

-Miz

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.