Hold on e-check payments even though i have a credit card backup

ratita
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i'm wondering why the last few times i have used paypal using my bank account as the funding source the payments have not gone through immediately even though i have a credit card as a backup funding source. this is the way my account has always been and i have not changed or altered anything. it used to be my payments would go through immediately and then they stopped doing so out of the blue.

why???? and what can i do to get back to the immediate payments?

thanks!

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

Romanace
New Community Member

A seller has told me that "PayPal sent me a note stating that payment would likely clear by Nov 2, so I will be sending the suit then." My account says I paid on Oct 26th. This is the first time I've used my checking account and also the first time that a payment has been held up. I was worried that the seller was scamming me, but if this has happened to you, too, then I'm thinking it's PayPal's policy and I'm not happy with it.

Login to Me Too

patrickjd78
New Community Member

Same thing just started happening to me.  Except I don't think the credit card backup has anything to do with it.  After about 10 years of having funds come directly from my bank account, suddenly e-check is the only option.  Getting help from ebay is not actually possible as far as I can tell, so looking for an answer here.

Login to Me Too

butterflykrause
New Community Member

I have the same problem out of the blue I can't use instant transfer but yet I have a credit card as back up I don't understand but I am getting upset with having to wait all the time to have my funds transferred.

Login to Me Too

patrick1561
New Community Member

Why am I no longer able to make payments with direct withdeawals from my checking account? Am not happy with the delays created by having to send echecks.

Login to Me Too

someoldguy
Contributor
Contributor

Well looks like I found the right topic thread here.

I have always had funds taken right from my bank account and I do have a credit card backup but now the past few times that my monthly website bill was due it was payed with e-check.

This has caused my host to suspend my account a few times because the payment was late.

I really need help with this.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I see you're all first-time posters. Welcome to the forums!

The Instant Transfer option is available only when an account also has a valid credit card on file. If the card is expired or about to expire, the only bank funding option available would be eCheck. Additionally, eCheck is the only way to use the bank as funding when there is a balance on the PayPal account and the balance is not being used.

I would suggest checking to make sure that your credit card is valid and not about to expire. Then you can set up a payment to the person that you would like to pay, and see what the default funding source is set to be. I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

PaulVotteler
New Community Member

My PayPal account has been set up from the beginning to draw from my bank account directly when paying for items (specifically through eBay) - now suddenly, I've been unable to make a payment, switched to eCheck for a ONE TIME PAYMENT, and now the last 2 things I've bought on eBay have been processed via eCheck - which takes FOREVER and defeats the purpose of linking a bank account for direct and immediate payment. In the helpful links on the details of the transactions, I'm told to add funds from my bank account (another 3-5 business days) or add a credit card (there IS a credit as back-up funding).

This is ridiculous. I run a business and need to make immediate payments in order to receive timely shipments. 

Login to Me Too

Montster
New Community Member

Same issue. Made 2 payments within the past week. Instant transfer, Made another one today and this one is echeck and will take 3 to 5 days. Talked to paypal representatives twice. Neither one was able to answer why. Thay said instant purchase must be on a credit card. Credit card is the primary funding and bank second. So why niot. I wanted to cancel payment but I can't figure out how.

Looks like postal money order is going to be as fast and less expensive option than the PP 3% fees.

Mad as heck as this time I really needed fast payment. Now I see why there are so many PP haters out there. I use to think they were wrong.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi PaulVotteler and Montster,

Welcome to the community. I'd be happy to help.

Is your credit card on file about to expire? That's the leading cause of eCheck being the only bank funding method available. Sometimes there is something about the payment that is triggering our internal risk controls, preventing certain funding sources from being used. If a credit card or instant transfer is blocked by those controls, eCheck might become the default, or even only, option for that transaction. These controls are designed to protect both the buyer and the seller when risk is detected, and sometimes completely legitimate and common transactions get caught in the net.

If your credit card expiration date is a long time in the future and this is happening consistently on payments to multiple sellers with different amounts, you can give us a call and we can see if there are any other issues specific to your account.

I'm merging this thread with another one where there were some other people running into the same issue.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.