how to cancel sent money?

typerchick
Contributor
Contributor

I sent money to a relative via paypal but it says will will take 5 days to clear and lists the status as pending.  I'd like to cancel this and send a different way.  Looked up instructions on the help topics but this did not work for me.  I did not have "cancel" as an option listed in the order status/actions column.  yet the status is still listed as pending for the next 5 days.  is there any way to cancel this?  thank you very much for any help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You can't cancel a payment once it's been sent.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You can't cancel a payment once it's been sent.

Login to Me Too

typerchick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  Can I ask you a followup question?  Please ignore me if no.  I first sent it mistakenly using an old expired card.  Then as a bank transfer.  Now it shows them both as pending.  I thought surely it would let me cancel the one from the old expired card but no.  I'll tell you what.  I am going to assume that I can't cancel and need to just check with the bank and if I'm wrong, then answer if you have time?  Thank you very much!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

The original payment from the credit card will bounce (be denied).

The bank transfer ( likely an echeck), will clear in 3-5 days if you have sufficient funds in the bank.

Login to Me Too

typerchick
Contributor
Contributor

Thx so very much!  You are very helpful and it's much appreciated. 🙂

Login to Me Too

dredi22
New Community Member

and if you dont? I  just basically had this happen to me, I accidently used an old bank account i dont even have open anymore. It will just cancel its self out? I didnt realize it was old one till i saw what it was.

Login to Me Too

hvanderw
New Community Member

I did the same thing !   I clicked pay and forgot that the bank account is no longer valid and I want to use the credit card that I have on file.  How many times are they going to try taking it from the bank before they use the credit card ??

Login to Me Too

Lensdiningcar
Contributor
Contributor

I sent the seller a deposit using Pay Pal.  Turns out he doesn't have a Pay Pal account.  Never even gave that a thought.  What to do?

Login to Me Too

Grifo
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal transaction # O-584759174F4096036 was cancelled by the seller, it appears as pending in my Paypal account. How can I get available the $31.99. I have an e-mail from HP notifying the cancellation.

Login to Me Too

allencraig
Contributor
Contributor

This is bull**bleep** - My "echeck" payment is going to take 5 days, and I can't cancel the payment during that time?! What year are we in anyway... 5 days to transfer money? What a joke this is. What if in this time I discover the payee is fraudulent? Tough **bleep**?

My credit card had "disappeared" from my account, so to my surprise paypal has to go through an echeck bank transfer to make a payment. But as I've discovered this, I should be able to just add my credit card again (which in fact is the account paypal takes 5 days to get money from) and the payment could be made in an instant. But no, too bad for me because I can't cancel a payment.

Paypal has never been able to help me with ANY problem or request I've had. Great service, paypal!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.