Vanilla Visa gift card?

destined

It won't validate/pass the security checks, even though I registerd the correct zip code. Is there any way I can use my Vanilla Visa gift card online? If not, is it possible to purchase a different Visa/MC/Amex gift card with it (in a retail store), with this gift card?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

At this time, we don't recommend adding pre-paid debit or credit cards, as they seldom pass our stringent security measures. Even if they do, and the payment is later refunded, we're required to send it back to the card - which can be a problem for you if you have since discarded the card.

As for using the card you have to purchase another gift card in store, that will be limited by the terms of conditions of the card you have, the merchant you are purchasing from, and the terms and conditions of the card you are purchasing.  You'll want to check with each.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

totalnoob
Contributor
Contributor

I had no idea there could be difficulties using this kind of card with paypal, and used it several times on ebay with no problem.  But, I was issued a refund for something yesterday.  I still have the card.  The refund hasn't shown up and I am now wondering if that is because it's a prepaid card, or if it's normal for the refund not to appear on the card yet.  My paypal account history says that the refund is complete.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

totalnoob -

Welcome to the boards!

Sometimes the prepaid cards do work just fine, but most simply don't Smiley Sad It sounds like yours is working well, though, so I wouldn't consider discarding it.

As for your refund, the "Completed" status in the PayPal account means we've made the funds available to the card issuer.  After that, it's up to them to credit the card back.  Card issuers allow themselves up to thirty days to credit this amount to the card, even though most are fairly prompt about doing so.  To learn more about how long it may take your card issuer to provide the credit, I would recommend giving them a call.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

totalnoob
Contributor
Contributor
I checked and the refund went through. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Huzzah!  Glad to hear it went through, and thanks for the update.  Oh, and one last thing - if you do deplete the card, don't throw it away immediately. 

That way, if you do receive a refund after the card is depleted, you'll be able to re-use the card or contact the card issuer to see about a refund.

Adrian

Login to Me Too

totalnoob
Contributor
Contributor
Got it. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.