Payment pending

vchrist
New Community Member

Several weeks ago I made a purchase on kmart.com and paid with paypal. I never received the item so I contacted them. They say they have no record of my purchase, yet the payment still shows up as pending in my account. How do I cancel this pending payment and get my funds back?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi vchrist,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Generally if something has been "pending" for weeks, it's usually what we call a PayPal Order.  An Order line item on the PayPal  history page represents that an order has been placed with that company.  An order does not represent any movement of funds only that the merchant has been given permission to obtain authorization for the payment.

Why is the order status pending?

An order can be compared to an "Authorization".  Authorizations are different because they place a hold on funds in your PayPal balance (if there are funds available there for the purchase).  If we are obtaining an authorization on a credit/debit card, your bank or credit card company may place a hold on funds.  When the merchant is ready to process the payment they would then "Capture" the authorization.

It can vary among banks but most banks and credit card companies will release the hold on the funds within 5-7 days or sooner if the authorization is not captured by the merchant within that time.  If weeks have passed and the payment has not been processed, I would expect that the hold on the funds should be released by now.

I would double check the account used to fund the payment.  I'd be very surprised if the funds were not already released back into the account.

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.