Money sent to wrong email address, reciever won't reply

deblew
Contributor
Contributor

I was sending money to my cousin for football tickets and left off the numbers in his email address. Seems the money went to someone and the status shows completed. I have emailed the person at the incorrect email address several times asking them to refund it but they do not reply. I need to get my money back but not sure what kind of dispute to file or what to do. Please advise.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DJGarrity
New Community Member

This just happened to me.  Did you ever resolve your problem? 

Login to Me Too

deblew
Contributor
Contributor
He finally did the right thing and sent the money back to me. I just kept emailing him. Good luck.
Login to Me Too

donstarnes
Contributor
Contributor

ATTENTION PAYPAL: why not solve this problem?

After you send money on the web site, PayPal confirms that you have done so and specifies the name of the recipient. Nice.

WHY NOT CONFIRM THE NAME OF THE RECIPIENT BEFORE THE MONEY IS SENT?

I've sent money to the wrong person by mistyping the email address, only to find out afterwards (on the confirmation page) that I'd done so. Fixing this should take about 1 minute of coding.

Login to Me Too

gizzybear
Contributor
Contributor

I just did the same thing (sent money to daughter and left out numbers in her email address). She doesn't have a PP acct. but the prompt I got from PP said they would send her a concurrent email re how to create acct. and collect the money. She tried to create an email acct under the incorrect addy I sent the money to, but yahoo said someone already had an acct under that name. Doesn't look like anyone has claimed the money yet. I tried to contact PP via email, chat with Sarah, and phone- what a JOKE. Sarah is worthless, email will not go through, phone - I keep getting cut off. Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too

donstarnes
Contributor
Contributor

Hidden on the contact page, and explicitly not mentioned on the help page, is the following tutorial:

Can I cancel a payment that I've already sent?

You can cancel only unclaimed payments. If the payment is complete, you can contact the person who received the payment and request a refund.

To cancel an unclaimed payment:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click History.
3. Click Cancel under Order Status/Actions.
4. Click Cancel Payment next to the unclaimed payment.

Note:
• A payment is automatically canceled if the recipient doesn’t accept it within 30 days.
• If you paid with a credit card, it can take up to 30 days for a refund to appear on your card statement.

If you want to request a refund for a completed payment, here’s how to find a seller’s contact information:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click History.
3. Click Details next to the transaction.
Login to Me Too

gizzybear
Contributor
Contributor

donstarnes - THANKS! It worked!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.