Is it possible to make an echeck payment in a currency other than your own?

kttnsrgr8
Contributor
Contributor

I won an auction on ebay and want to pay via echeck, but I'm wondering if there's any way to pay in USD instead of CAD since I'm worried the seller will refuse payment or be charged a bunch of fees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

If the auction is denominated in a specific currency, and you complete the checkout via eBay, the eCheck would be sent in the designated currency.

You could contact the seller and manually complete the payment via the Send Money tab, provided the seller is willing to give you their email address and accept it in a different currency..  For your protection, mark the payment appropriately and don't send it as a Personal Payment.  This will allow you to designate the currency you want to send it in.

Another item to consider is if the payment is later refunded - you always get  back what you originally put in!  PayPal makes sure the buyer doesn't lose out because of the currency conversion.  If you paid $20 USD to send $10 CAD (this is not the actual conversion rate), you still get back $20 USD if the payment is refunded within 60 days. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

If the auction is denominated in a specific currency, and you complete the checkout via eBay, the eCheck would be sent in the designated currency.

You could contact the seller and manually complete the payment via the Send Money tab, provided the seller is willing to give you their email address and accept it in a different currency..  For your protection, mark the payment appropriately and don't send it as a Personal Payment.  This will allow you to designate the currency you want to send it in.

Another item to consider is if the payment is later refunded - you always get  back what you originally put in!  PayPal makes sure the buyer doesn't lose out because of the currency conversion.  If you paid $20 USD to send $10 CAD (this is not the actual conversion rate), you still get back $20 USD if the payment is refunded within 60 days. 

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

kttnsrgr8
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You're welcome - always glad to help, and a thank you for the kudos!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.