I'm sending exactly my total balance as a gift, but I'm getting charged a fee.

rnock
New Community Member

I'm in America. A friend of mine in England got married. I created a new PayPal account with the express purpose of gathering money from people who wanted to chip in and help cover the guy's honeymoon expenses. I didn't want to use my existing account, because it's for business, and this is just a friendly gift.

We raised a few hundred bucks, and I was going to send the money to the groom's PayPal account. Then I saw I had a transfer limit of $0. I didn't want to sign up for a PayPal credit card, and I had already linked my primary account to my bank account, so I couldn't do that. After calling customer service, however, I was told that by linking my own credit card to the account, I could get the transfer limit raised. So I did that, and now the limit says $2000. Great.

Except that when I try to send the money, PayPal wants to charge my credit card $20 to cover the transaction. My understanding was that, as long as you send from one PayPal balance to another, you shouldn't get charged anything. And I am only sending my balance. I even tried sending 5 bucks lower than my balance, and it still wants to ding me about $20.

So why does it want to charge me a fee? Is it because I linked my credit card (even though no funds are coming from my card)? Is it because the account I'm sending to is in England (even though I thought he pays on his end to exchange the funds from dollars to pounds)? Most importantly, what can I do to fix this, so that all the money people chipped in makes it to my newlywed friend?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

There's a 1% fee to transfer across a border.

Take $20 off the balance or absorb the amount.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.