Differentiating Between Debit and Credit

videowhiz2
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I sent a payment using a debit card, but the information only lists it as having used a credit card. Is there a way to tell that the payment was used as a debit purchase rather than a credit purchase? I'm worried that I wound up using a payment method I had no desire of using but seemingly had no control over whether or not it was actually a debit purchase like I intended.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

videowhiz2
Contributor
Contributor

I had a choice between using the Commerce Bank's account to pay, or one of my debit cards. I opted for the US Bank debit card, but I was intending to pay with debit. I'm not sure whether or not it registered it under debit or credit, unless it can tell the card is used for debit. Does not having the US Bank card connected to a Us Bank account on Paypal affect whether it's used as debit or credit?

Login to Me Too

jdab
New Community Member

I'm 99% sure that unless you entered a PIN number, all transaction with a card are processed as credit. This is the reason most bank DEBIT cards feature a Visa or Master Card logo.

Login to Me Too

videowhiz2
Contributor
Contributor

It's a little unnerving when a site basically dedicated to using credit and debit cards makes it less than immediately obvious that they are two separate modes of payment. Elsewhere they've explicitly stated to using the DEBIT as a source of payment without any hoops to jump through or any obscure means of getting said payments.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.