At check out then unable to obtain a PayPal authorization

immarlondait
New Community Member

Hello! First time user here 🙂 appologies if this is in the wrong forum!

I recently (about 20 minutes ago) tried to online purchase something from www.bestbuy.com (~$220 size of order). At checkout, I entered my PayPal information and bestbuy.com went to the authorization page. The authorization was unable to be obtained and I was given this message:

•  We're sorry, we were unable to obtain a PayPal authorization for your payment at this time. Please use another form of payment to proceed with your order

I retry the order and get the same message again. So I figure I will try it tomorrow. I check my paypal account and it seems to have 2 pending orders to best buy.

This is where I have my questions.

1) Will this order just get cancelled since authorization wasn't obtained?

1b) If not, does that mean it will charge me ~$220 twice? Seeing as I don't have enough in both my paypal and bank (student!) this could be a hinderance.

2) Do I have to do anything to cancel these orders myself? Or will this just go away on its own?

3) Is it safe to try and process the order again from bestbuy?

thanks for your time 🙂

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

The orders should be cancelled.  SHOULD.

I'd keep an eye on the account just to make sure, though.

Those sound like provisional charges - they should drop off the account in a few days since the order wasn't confirmed.

There's no way to cancel them and those funds won't be available in your account until the provisional charges are removed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.