About canceling a payment

MGhostSoft
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I paid for a purchased item via PayPal on Saturnday. But my credit card hadn't been charged till today, and the status of that payment was "Unclaimed". So I canceled that payment and paid again. This time my credit card was charged immediatly. However, my card was charged once more later. And in the "Transaction Details" page of the canceled payment, the last event is "Temporary Hold", and the type is "Placed". My questions are:

1. Does that mean that, as long as the hold is cancelled, I will receive the refund?
  2. Why there's a hold placed? How and when will it be canceled?
  3. Will my refund go back to my credit card or to the PayPal account balance? Can I choose between these?

Thank you so much!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Olivia

Hi MGhostSoft, and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like your first payment was actually funded by bank, rather than credit card. When a refund is made on a bank-funded transaction, the funds aren't available until they have cleared from the bank.

If you go to your history and click the plus sign next to your original transaction, you'll be able to see the associated actions, including the funding.

I hope this helps!!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MGhostSoft
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Olivia,

Thank you for your help. Does that mean I have to wait the fund of payment successfully clearing from the bank first, and then wait for the refund go back to my bank account?

Thanks!

Meng

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi MGhostSoft,

You have it right. You will need to wait for it to clear from the bank, and then if you want to withdraw it back to your bank it would take the normal withdrawal timeframe. The good news is that you don't have to withdraw it if you're ready to make another purchase! Once the money is in your PayPal balance, you can certainly use your balance to fund another payment. Even better - if you enroll in the Money Market Fund, you can be earning a dividend on your balance while it's in there!

You have lots of options! Smiley Happy

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MGhostSoft
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much Olivia. Leaving the money in PayPal account balance is exactly what I want.Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.