2 bank transfers for same amount as echeck and transfer..help?

gabyc
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase last sunday.. with my paypal account... next day i checked it the payment was not made according to [either ebay or paypal] .. saying that i needed funds [ive made other paypal purchases without needing to add funds] ... so i added the money i needed to pay what i bought. With that the money was paid to the seller.... well now as i check my bank account, it shows they took the money twice but one as a paypal echeck on the 31st and on november 1 they have as paypal transfer ...... is that normal? how can i fix this if it isnt?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi gabyc,

Generally speaking, an "add funds" bank transfer would place the funds in the PayPal balance.  I'd bet those funds are sitting in your PayPal account right now.

You can log into your account and see what the PayPal balance is showing.  If there are funds in there, you can choose to keep the funds in there to put towards your next PayPal purchase or withdraw the funds to your bank.

If you want to withdraw the funds, look for the "Withdraw" option located in the white bar just below all the blue tabs.

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi gabyc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

It sounds like the first payment you sent on Sunday was sent as an eCheck instead of an Instant transfer.  eBay wouldn't consider the payment as completed until the funds clear. It's takes about 3-4 business days for an eCheck to clear from a US bank account.

Then doing an "Add Funds" would have initiated a separate bank transfer which explains why you saw two transfers on your bank statement.  It is not necessary to Add Funds to your PayPal account before making a purchase.   So why did the first payment get sent as an echeck?

For bank funded payments to be eligible for an "Instant Transfer" with PayPal, there needs to be an active, usable back-up credit/debit card on file.  If there are no active cards on file, there is no back-up and we will wait for the funds to clear before crediting funds to the seller.  If we have back-up on file, we pay the seller immediately and just wait to be reimbursed for the transfer in 3-4 business days.

The instant transfer option will not be available if:

- There are no active credit/debit cards on file

or

- The credit/debit card on file is expired or is about to expire (within the next 45 days)

or

- Our security system has decided that the Instant Transfer option poses an increased risk to the buyer, seller or PayPal.

I hope this information helps explain what happened and how to avoid it in the future. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

gabyc
Contributor
Contributor

ok i think i got it but how would i go about getting my $27 dollars back....?? the extra transaction

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi gabyc,

Generally speaking, an "add funds" bank transfer would place the funds in the PayPal balance.  I'd bet those funds are sitting in your PayPal account right now.

You can log into your account and see what the PayPal balance is showing.  If there are funds in there, you can choose to keep the funds in there to put towards your next PayPal purchase or withdraw the funds to your bank.

If you want to withdraw the funds, look for the "Withdraw" option located in the white bar just below all the blue tabs.

- Frank

Login to Me Too

gabyc
Contributor
Contributor

thanks i will check

Login to Me Too

gabyc
Contributor
Contributor

Checked and there it is, thank you very much for your help!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Anytime! 🙂  Since you're here, feel free to join our community chat this week:

Community Chat 11/9/2011

🙂

- Frank

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.