unable to transfer money between currencies

rhonauk
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to transfer money between currencies.

Instead of the usual conversion rate, when you press CALCULATE it says:

null null (1 GBP =   USD)

This rate is our wholesale cost of foreign currency plus a currency conversion fee. This fee depends on the currency you are converting into. See the “Fees” > “Additional Fees” > “Currency Conversion Fee” section of the User Agreement for details.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

ailsaUK
New Community Member

I am finding it even worse than that - the transfer currencies link seems to have completely disappeared.  

On my paypal page, there is simply NO way that I can change dollars in my account into sterling.

I have been sending feedback and trying to contact paypal for three days now, without success.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi rhonauk and ailsaUK,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear the currency conversion option doesn’t work for you Smiley Sad

Have you tried changing the web browser? Please ensure that you have manually added both currencies to your PayPal account before exchanging.

Here's how to convert your balance to another currency:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click PayPal balance under your profile photo.
  3. Click Manage currencies.

Hope it helps!

I wish you happy transacting with PayPal Smiley Happy

Anna

Login to Me Too

Mandy14
Contributor
Contributor

I have been unable to transfer currency since the new interface was installed.  It has been returning the 'null' value for currency transfers (USD to GBP).  I noticed this problem on 7th August 2014 but thought it was a bug so I left it a week before trying again.  It had not been fixed so I emailed Customer Service who advised they were aware of the problem and working on a fix.  In the meantime they undertook a manual transfer so I could  withdraw money.  The first one of these Paypal processed within 12 hours - the second one they had not undertaken in 72 hours!  I rung UK Customer Service and I was given a work-around whereby you reset your primary currency and then transferred the money.

However, as of this morning that is now returning an error message.  I will have to contact Customer Service again.

What I find incredulous is that this problem has been present since 7th August 2014.  For such a large organization as Paypal this seems unbelievable.  This is a serious issue and bug that should've been fixed with a day or two. 

What is also concerning is the number of problems the new interface is creating.  I have been using Paypal for many years without incidence until last month.  It has been one problem after another and the system is no longer reliable or consistent.  It is such a shame as it all worked fine previously.

Login to Me Too

Mandy14
Contributor
Contributor

Have just been given a work-around by Customer Service.

Go to the Manage Currency screen which shows the Currency Converter.

Enter the amount you wish to convert together with the respective currencies but instead of pressing on 'calculate' select 'continue'.    This will show the amounts of both currencies and you can accept from there.

In other words - do not click the 'calculate' button but click CONTINUE button instead.

Login to Me Too

luke717
New Community Member

Thanks, Mandy14, most useful. This has been driving me nuts for months, so your workaround is most helpful.

As I write this, it's two months after your posts - and this issue still isn't fixed by PayPal...

Login to Me Too

Rob_H
New Community Member

A couple of years later, and this bug still exists (at least for some users - like me!).  Multiple different web browsers.

Thanks for the work-around (using continue rather than calculate), I forgot I had to use that when I exchanged some money a year or so ago.  It still works.

How can Paypal ignore a very visible bug like this for literally years?

Login to Me Too

TrueLightning
Contributor
Contributor

Here we are, in May 2017, and this bug STILL exists. Thankfully the workaround works. Thanks for the tip.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.