receiving payments

stevehayes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I sold an item on ebay for an agreed price of £690 and received an email from paypal to say that the payment had been made by the buyer and was waiting to be credited to my paypal account once I had a royal mail tracking number. I emailed paypal with this info and had an email back saying all was well and money would be transferred shortly.

I then had another email around 6 hours later saying that when paypal tried to put the £690 in my paypal account, they had discovered that the buyer had made an extra payment of £310 (as well as the original £690). As the funds now totalled £1000 they haven't been able to process the original payment of £690 and they've asked me to contact the buyer to ascertain what is going on.

I've done this but I'm now very worried as I've posted out the item and haven't received any payment and concerned that I will be left with no item and no money.

I have a full email trail from the buyer and from paypal if you need to see them.

Hoping you get this sorted for me.

Thanks

Steve Hayes

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stevehayes

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

Or they say you have been overpaid and must pay the excess back the same way.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

stevehayes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, now I'm really concerned

I have the buyers name and address and it is in the UK not in Nigeria, I've checked the address on the internet and it is a correct address which corresponds with the buyers name.

What can I do about this?

Steve 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stevehayes

Phone customer services  >>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option (if there is one in the country you are in) > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

stevehayes
Contributor
Contributor

I called customer services as you advised and I have been scammed, I've called the police and the fraud action line who have given me a crime ref no, I also called royal mail to get them to stop the item being delivered but they aren't able to do this.

Any advice on how I can get paid or get my goods back from the scammer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stevehayes

Nothing you can do via paypal unfortunately as none of the transaction was done using paypals site.

You could try the small claims court or seek advice from the police.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.