money sent to wrong email address

pejomo
New Community Member

A friend send me some money but he used the wrong email address (it is an email address I use but not the one I use in PayPal). Where will the money be now and how can I get hold of it?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Ask your friend to check the status of the transaction.  If the status of the transaction is "unclaimed" and the "cancel" link is active, your friend can cancel the transaction. This means that funds were sent to email address that is not registered with the PayPal system.  Your friend can then resend the money to the correct email address.

If the status of the transaction is "unclaimed" and the "cancel" link is not visible or not active, PayPal will return the funds to the sender after 30 days. This means that funds were sent to an email address that at some point in time was registered with the PayPal system. Most likely the email address is not active any more or the owner of the address has not confirmed their email address.

Note, you can also register that email address with your PayPal Account.  PayPal allows each user to link and confirm a total of 8 email addresses.  Any one of the 8 addresses can accept payments.  Once you link and confirm that address, PayPal will credit the money to your Account Balance.

Login to Me Too

lcrvintage
New Community Member

Hi a friend has just tried to send me money but she put in the worng address and it said "unclaimed" and she has cancelled it, how long does the money take to come back into her account so she can re send it? thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When you cancel that payment (as the seller can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.