i have been paid in a currency i do not want - how do i best deal with it?

eborjon
New Community Member

I have received a payment in USD for my little website that asks for payment in pounds Sterling.  The payee was in Australia and I don't know why they chose USD (I should add that this customer has sent me a long stream of weird emails before buying - more than I get in a year of average trading!).  My PayPal account was not set up to accept USD, and from PayPal documentation I have read, it should have allowed me to refuse to accept the payment on those grounds, but it did not, and I so have money in a currency that I don't want in my account.  Am I right or wrong about PayPal giving me the choice to refuse?

In the process of trying to do things, I made USD an extra currency and I now cannot revert back to just pounds Sterling, with PayPal telling me I can't do it while I have a balance in USD.  A catch 22!

What should I do next?  I do not want to incurr currency conversion fees if possible.  I note that my site software (Opencart) has marked this transaction as pending, when it always marks payments made to me in Sterling as complete, so there may be more in this than meets the eye.

I really would appreciate help, and thanks for all offered,

Jon

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eborjon

Why not refund the buyer?

If you don't want to do that then you can either ''spend'' it on a seller that accepts USD OR convert the currency to sterling but of course you will pay conversion charges.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.