how on earth do you prove a buyer is happy when PayPal pretends that feedback doesn't count?

bev1
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email alerting me that a buyer had paid. The email clearly states: The money is in your pending balance and typically available 21 days from the payment date, or once the buyer confirms they're happy with the item.:  

So the buyer collected his item on the same day and left positive feedback. That implies that he is happy with the item.

According to PayPal, it's not proof.

Despite my having well over the 25 sales (with 100% positive feedback) and being a seller for over a year,  they are still clinging to £150+ of my money. I have tried both on the phone and via message to find out why they don't believe the buyer when he says he is happy OR what constitutes proof that he is happy but just yet the same old copy/paste line about waiting seven days.

There is no justifiable reason at all to cling on to my money in this manner.  None whatsoever.

If anyone could shed any light on why they refuse to believe my buyer when he says he is happy I would be grateful.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bev1

Feedback does not count as it can easily be left for the wrong seller by mistake.

They presume a buyer is happy if they don't open a dispute within about a week of receiving the item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bev1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply! So the wording in the email is incorrect then, because it clearly states the buyer has to indicate he is happy. If I understand you correctly then in fact this is not at all the case and they allow enough time to pass without complaint before releasing my money.

It's a shame, but having had my money frozen like this for no reason whatsoever has put me off selling in future. As an experienced seller with 100% feedback over many sales and an above standard rating, my opinion is that  there is no justifiable reason for suddenly doing this. I think this is my last time using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bev1

Does seem daft really doesn't it.

Whether you use it or not is up to you, but these are the reasons for the hold so have a read and see if any may apply.

Reasons why you may have returned to the hold as per link above possibly are >>>

1. New seller.

2. Not sold for a while and returned to selling.

3. Dipped star ratings on ebay.

4. Recent buyer disputes.

5. Selling on a different email address or ebay i.d.

6. Suddenly selling a high cost item against normal selling history?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bev1
Contributor
Contributor

That's the thing, though. None of those apply to me.

However, after asking PayPal the same question over and over since Sunday, I finally got an answer from them. Hopefully this may help save someone else from this ridiculous and frustrating situation.

Extract:

. Kindly contact your buyer and provide them the following steps:

Go to www.paypal.com/uk and log into your account
Locate the payment in your Activity.
Select the payment to open the Transactions Details page.
Click ‘Have you received the merchandise’ and then click Yes.

---------------

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bev1

Strange then that i have gone to ebay and non-ebay purchases on the paypal site + classic site and no where can i see  >>>

''Click ‘Have you received the merchandise’ and then click Yes.''

on the details page.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bev1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to see it either but my buyer has sent a message saying he has done it and the transaction is now showing as being released on the 13th so it's worked - or at least made a huge difference.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.