eBay/PayPal Checkout Error, "Confirm Card" When They Are Already Confirmed?

Sam_Maxi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've been having this trouble with PayPal/eBay Checkout, and when I looked it up, I found many other suffers but no solution. Has anyone conquered the problem? If so, could you please help me?

Frist of all:

1) My account status is Verified, it has been for the past 5 years.

2) I have 1 Credit and 2 Debit cards linked to my account, they are all Confirmed.

3) None of the three cards have expired/near expiry date.

4) This error only occurs with eBay checkout, none of the other retailers.

Problem:

When I try to pay for an item by eBay Checkout, I encounter the error message below, at PayPal login page.

On the top part of the page, it says:

[eBay logo]

Please go to www.paypal.com to confirm your credit card before you complete this purchase.

Below that, it says:

[PayPal logo]

Return to eBay

At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to eBay and try another option.

So eBay's message tells me to go to PayPal, PayPal's message tells me to return to eBay.

When I called their customer services, eBay told me "Anything to do with payment happens on PayPal's site so it must be PayPal's issue". PayPal told me "Your account is fine. There is nothing wrong with your account, it must be eBay's issue".

PayPal has a point, I do not have any problem when I use PayPal with other retailers. This happens only when I use eBay checkout.

But then, the error page's URL is paypal.com, so as eBay pointed out, it's happening on PayPal' site.

I tried the following without any success:

1) I cleared cash and cookies, tried different browsers (IE, FireFox, Chrome).

2) I tried not logging in and choose "do not have PayPal account" option.

3) I tried checking out from eBay.co.uk, eBay .com, eBay.ie.

4) I changed the "Default" card from one card to another, and another.

What else can I do??

And most importantly, what can I do to make eBay/PayPal admit the problem exists??

Please help!!

Sam

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

PayPal_david

Hi there Sam_Maxi,

Welcome to the Community!

Can I ask if this is only happening with one item or are there multiple items that you are experiencing these problems with? 

Have you also tried contacting your seller in order to determine if they can send you a payment request from their PayPal account? This could also help with the payment being sent to your seller.

If you could let me know if it is multiple items or just one item, I can try to determine what the problem might be.

David.

Login to Me Too

Sam_Maxi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello David.

The error happens to in two ways.

1) Anything for over the value of £60, the "Confirm your credit card" error happens straight way.

2) For items below the value of £60, I can pay for them - but once I pay for 1 item, I cannot pay for another within the same hour. If I try, I get the "Confirm your credit card" message.

Clearly, there is some kind of security restriction going on, but as my cards are all confirmed, and have been so all along, the error message is giving incorrect information.

And again, I can make a £1000 payment with PayPal when I'm on other retailers' site, this only happens with eBay checkout.

Since I posted the message, I made a new spare PayPal account, which seems to be working fine with eBay checkout so far (fingers crossed), which in turn suggests that the issue is in fact with PayPal and not eBay.

And yes, while I was unable to pay the sellers I communicated with them by emails and arranged to send payments directly. However some inexperienced sellers got confused and opened unpaid item cases against me afterwards, as direct PayPal payments are not logged by eBay checkout, and therefore still showing as "unpaid" on sellers' eBay page.

So further headaches there... 

Login to Me Too

mlambana
Contributor
Contributor

Its a deliberate block on your account. Regardless of the error message (1) you need to confirm our account or (2) you need to use another credit card, they are both the same reason. Even though there's nothing wrong with your PayPal and Ebay account, PayPal has said their "automated" system flagged you and they "want to know you better."

Had the same thing when I signed up for EBay and PayPal, went through the nightmare for 2 weeks until I thought everything was fine. There so called "want to know you as a buyer" was rubbish. I purchased about 100 plus items in a month without any problems, no complaints, no disputes, nothing. Thinking everything was fine went through 10 purchases in which was the norm I was doing and they knew it, no big transactions $5 to $25 each and then a month later again, got the "need to confirm my credit card". When it was already firmed, they already charged the $1.95 and it was successfully verified.

If you put your bank account on file and verify it, every single eBay purchase will go to ECheck and you'll run into the another problem  that you cant change the payment option, that they will force you to pay via ECheck (3-4 business day hold) and no buyer protection from your credit card company. I will not use my bank account on Ebay especially when it comes to sellers I dont know.

All I know is that Im an honest buyer and dont start trouble with anyone. I dont file fake disputes or steal anything from anyone. I run a business and this limitation is pure non sense. They put a restriction on you, then everythings fine, and then you get hit with the same thing again. Im just trying to run my business purchasing computer parts for my business and thought getting them off eBay would be an easy thing to do, but the past month using Ebay and PayPal has been a nightmare.

Sorry to say but I beleive it will continue to happen until PayPal and Ebay feel 1000% assured that they arent going to get ripped off by you and they have every single piece of information that will validate that you are who you say y, even as a buyer.

Login to Me Too

tiwa
New Community Member

I had the same problem with you. I do not have money Ara anyone help me headaches.

Login to Me Too

Macbookarna

We have the same issue. We send to paypall multiple emails with appeal for help but no one ever respond. Pay Pall is a very bad company without any interest for their custommers. What a shame there is no other way how to pay on Ebay. This should be a crime. Mainly after they got so many personaůl information (Drivers licence, ID, Phone bill and many ,many more). If pay pall been Czech republic company be sure i sue them.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Macbookarna,

Apologies for the delay. 

Are you still experiencing issues with this? Have you reached out to PayPal by phone to discuss this further?

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

ViktarBurau

Good day! Could you help me, i`ve got the same message, but my cards are confirmed. What can i do? Thanks

Login to Me Too

ViktarBurau

And could you give me a phone to call by scype without 003 first? Thanks

Login to Me Too

michael78
New Community Member

Please can someone help me. I have a credit card confirmed on my PayPal account, but when I pay through Ebay I get an error message telling me to go to PayPal to confirm my card.

The seller is getting very upset as I have not made payment for an item I bid for.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.