all seemed ok........

housemusic77
Contributor
Contributor

hi there, for one... i dislke paypal as its just a mess.

anyway, i posted  an item on a selling site,not ebay....and was contacted promptly by a woman  , she must have sent a good 250 messages in 2 days now!!

she wanted to use paypal so i registered mine and gave her the details, i got the verication email saying its all legal etc witha MCTN number and posted the item then sent paypal the tracking info etc etc.

they replied id get my 100 once they verified my account as it ws new.....usually within 6-12 hrs!!!(been 48 now)

the goods were delivered and signed for this morning and i wake up to a text message saying " i have to send a refund so i can free up the £100 into my Account?

HAHA i thought....adter realising id sent the item.

So....What the **bleep** is she on about? shes still saying its genuine.

please help.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@housemusic77

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and insist you open one if you don't have one.

They often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" emails that looks as though it is from paypal.....they are NOT. It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also try and get you to pay more if they think they have ''hooked'' you by sending funds to release the payment or a customs fee etc.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union if they ask you to do that.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

housemusic77
Contributor
Contributor

WOW.......i hated Paypal before but even more now.

I guess ill chalk this one up to a life lesson.

By the way the way you described it above is absolutely spot on.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@housemusic77

Well to be honest it has nothing to do with paypal as NONE of the transaction was done using paypals site.

As long as you read up on buyer protection and make sure the cash is in your paypal account before you send an item you should be ok.

Sorry you were scammed.    Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.