Using paypal in different countries

Anna98hb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

im wondering if i can use my account in the Netherlands? For example can people make money over (in euro's) to my british paypal account, and vice versa 

thank you very much

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

People can pay you in whatever currency you accept.

I have a UK paypal account but if i pay anyone internationally, I just select whatever currency they want paying in in the drop down box during the payment process and just before i click submit it tells me how much my credit card will be charged in sterling.

But if you want to accept euros rather than sterling you can "add that as a currency" to your paypal account by going to the right of where it says paypal balance and clicking on "currency conversion" then adding euros as a receiving currency.

But you will have to pay currency coversion charges if you want to withdraw it to your bank account etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anna98hb
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much, it was very helpful Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

ctrot

I have a paypal account with different currencies, but have been informed by Paypal support that I must have different Paypal accounts for each country that I use. I live part-time in several countries. (BUT I use one email account, (plus an emergency email) It is not possible to link either email address to the new accounts. They recommend that I create 4 new dummy email addresses. This is also awkward to work with EBAY and other sites where I am identified by one email address that is used by some in one country and some that work fine in multiple countries. I do have real physical addresses and accounts in each country, but not country based email or internet services. I use one email to coordinate my activities. There must be a easier way for paypal to work. I would not want to manage multiple paypal accounts for me as one individual. (ie: sign/accept legal form for each country's address that you define)

Also see forum topic: paypal account in 2 different countries??

See paypal advice below:

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding a question about using PayPal in multiple countries. You would like to know what would be the best way to use PayPal.

Sadly it is not possible to change the country of your PayPal account. I also advice against having an error in the address. The reason for this is that there are times where we are going to ask for a proof of your address. If your address then is in, for example, Germany but you have a Belgian account, then we will need a confirmation that your German address is actually in Belgium. This will obviously be impossible because it's not there and then we will have to block your account. The reason we have to be so strict about this has to do with our banking license which we don't want to lose.

Deleting and reopening your PayPal account is also something I would not recommend to do because there is a maximum of three times that you can add a bank account or a credit card to a PayPal account. After three times adding it, it is not possible anymore to add the financial (bank or credit card) to a different account.

The best, and only way to do this is to have 4 dummy email addresses and open a PayPal account seperatly for every business. I understand this is not your preferred way to resolve this but this really is the best and only way.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely, 
PayPal 

Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding the country address.

Every PayPal account is specific per country, therefore it is not possible to have an address in another country linked to it.
If you live in a different country then the settings in your PayPal account, I advise you to close the account and open one in the country of residence.
This all has to with national laws and banking regulations which we have to oblige to.
If it would be for a specific transaction, you can change the address before you make the purchase by following the instructions below.
It might be that some wording is slightly different in your account as PayPal account wording differ from country to country.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.