US bank account on UK PayPal account

dan2442
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm wanting to add a US bank account to my UK PayPal account, and have seen numerous posts on here by people saying that they were successfully able to do this by phoning PayPal and asking them to add the account as doing it online doesn't work (it doesn't ask for the correct information, such as asking for sort code instead of routing number etc).

Well, I just phoned up and was advised that this wasn't possible and nothing could be done by the agent to get a US account added - she said it was against international banking regulations to have a bank account from another country added to a UK account or something?? I tried to explain that many people appear to have been able to do this according to PayPal message boards etc but no such luck.

Could anybody please give me any advise with regard to this? I feel as though I've been informed the wrong information and this in fact can be done by an agent over the phone.

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dan2442

You were probably talking to an agent that does not know what they are talking about.

US folks are able to link their bank accounts to every other countries paypal accounts.

Tell her that she needs to read this link (below) and i have underlined the relevant bit in the last sentence in my post below.

Suggest you phone back and try and get hold of someone with a brain cell.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13... >>>>

Use PayPal to send and receive money worldwide.

Select a country or region to find out about PayPal’s offerings:

Select a country or region

Send: Send funds without sharing your financial information.
  • Mastercard
  • Maestro
  • Visa
  • Visa Electron
  • American Express
  • Discover
  • Direct Debit
Receive: Receive funds quickly from anyone with an email address in the 203 countries and regions that accept PayPal.
  • Mastercard
  • Maestro
  • Visa
  • Visa Electron
  • American Express
  • Discover
  • Direct Debit
  • Discover
  • Express Checkout
  • Giropay
Withdraw: Withdraw funds from your PayPal account:
  • To your local bank account.
  • For faster withdrawal to your local bank account.
  • To your US bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dan2442
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks kernowlass - phoned again and sorted out with no fuss.

Kind regards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dan2442

You found one with a brain cell Smiley Surprised well done  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

alexiat
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I just tried calling, and the person helping me first said I couldn't add a US bank account to a UK paypal, then went and asked someone and came back asking me for me US account numbers. When he was trying to add the US bank account, he was having trouble with it so he put me on hold again, and finally came back saying this was no longer possible even if it says it is on the website, and that the website is out of date.

Can someone confirm if this correct?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.