Text from 62226 after sending money to a friend

Comapct
Contributor
Contributor

I have just sent money to a friend and subseqently received a text message from 62226

"[PayPal] A -£this is the correct amount  GBP transaction with This is the correct name on this is the correct date was marked suspicious. Please reply "1" if authorised or "2" if not authorised"

I then received 2 more, with a slight change from £ GBP to $ USD.

It has all the rights details in it.

However if you search on Paypayl.com and search in the help  for 62226, no results are returned.

In the app there are no warning messages

And in Summary the payment is Completed.

I have ignored the texts.

So, has anyone come across this and had an answer from Paypal?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Jack_M
Contributor
Contributor

If all of the details within the SMS are correct, this would be a fraud alert via PayPal. In accordance with PayPal security practices, when a transaction has been deemed as suspicious or otherwise potentially fraudulent, you may be contacted to verify the transaction(s) in question.

You are safe to answer the SMS and authorise the relevant transactions, provided you made them. Please remember never to provide any personal details via SMS, as PayPal would not ask for such information through text message.

If you need an additional reassurance on this, please feel free to contact a PayPal representative on 0800 358 7911 to assess these transactions further and perform the authorisation over the phone.

Please note; if these fraud alerts from PayPal remain unresolved, this could result in either a reversal of the said payments and/or an account limitation if there are serious security concerns.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

Jack_M
Contributor
Contributor

If all of the details within the SMS are correct, this would be a fraud alert via PayPal. In accordance with PayPal security practices, when a transaction has been deemed as suspicious or otherwise potentially fraudulent, you may be contacted to verify the transaction(s) in question.

You are safe to answer the SMS and authorise the relevant transactions, provided you made them. Please remember never to provide any personal details via SMS, as PayPal would not ask for such information through text message.

If you need an additional reassurance on this, please feel free to contact a PayPal representative on 0800 358 7911 to assess these transactions further and perform the authorisation over the phone.

Please note; if these fraud alerts from PayPal remain unresolved, this could result in either a reversal of the said payments and/or an account limitation if there are serious security concerns.

Login to Me Too

malhal
New Community Member

I got one of these but the amount was $ instead of £ and since the advice was only respond if the details are correct I haven't done so. The payment was an ebay purchase so don't see any reason why this should be a suspicious transaction so not sure if to ignore it or call Paypal to find out what's going on.

Login to Me Too

Mike2276
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same text from 62226. I logged into PayPal and they confirmed they had not sent me any text messages and my transaction had already gone through fine. It must be a scam. I would strongly suggest messages from 62226 are ignored and people check with PayPal directly.
Login to Me Too

Chris123Chris12
New Community Member
I got an sms “PayPal: Your security code is: 690820. It expires in 10 minutes. Don't share this code with anyone.” Time 03:52. I’m very suspicious as although awake I didn’t do any PayPal related stuff for days and the conversation was saved in a different group from normal PP texts. The only info I could glean said text came from “Paypal” “home 62 226” (not PayPal). All previous texts with same format wording say they are from “phone 67 975” with no Name only default icon , am using iPhone 5se on iOS 14.4.2 There was also data in the Notes section of the contact “PayPal: Your phone number is linked to your account. Now, save 62226 to your contact list. To check balance, reply with BAL. “ Replying to the SMS gives “Not delivered” error which is normal. ...Highly suspect something bad might happen if I click sms link, but I may well be wrong. Any ideas ?
Login to Me Too

Kharley90
New Community Member
This is definitely fraud do not answer this. PayPal wouldn't ask for a response that cost you money. Paypal confirmed they didn't send me the message.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Kharley90 and everyone,

The text message you received is likely from PayPal. In situations where the system detected some level of risk but not enough to decline the payment, you might be sent a text message as an alert that there was a payment made, with an option to immediately report the payment as unauthorized if you did not make the payment. If you did not make the payment, you can respond with a 2, or you can visit the Resolution Center to dispute the payment by logging in to your PayPal account from PayPal.com. If the payment is authorized, you can reply with a 1 to help our system be sure that the activity is not actually a problem, but you can also ignore the message. Responding is preferable and may help prevent declines in the future is similar transactions are made, but it is not necessary for the transaction in question.

If your mobile service carrier does not offer unlimited text messaging or charges for messages to short numbers such as the one from which you received the message, there may be charges from your cell service carrier to send a message back. PayPal does not charge anything for the text message. You always have the option of going directly to the PayPal website to act instead of sending the text message, but please make sure that you do not follow any links in a text message that you receive, as messages that claim to be from PayPal but have links are likely to be fake messages.

I hope this helps clarify!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Mike2276
Contributor
Contributor
In my case PayPal specifically confirmed they had not sent me the texts and that the payment had already gone through without problem. Until this problem is sorted out I don't think it's good advice to advise anyone to reply to these texts that cost money to reply to.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.