Someone sent me the money, but it doesn't show on my paypal account?

xXxOliwkaa
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

Someone has sent me the money because I sold something to that person. I got an email (from paypal) saying that I have received the payment, the shipping agent details because I am paying for the shipping, however, the money doesn't show on my account. I have checked, my account is confirmed.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Bit worried when you mentioned you were paying for the shipping.

They are not asking you to send that shipping payment via western union are they??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

xXxOliwkaa
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they sent me the money for the pram, for the shipping agent and the money that the western union transfer will charge. they said that the picker only accepts payment throught the wester union. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

Be VERY careful selling large items if the buyer is keen to use paypal and states they are working abroad or sending to a friend etc and need a shipping agent to pick it up..

You then get a FAKE paypal email saying you have been paid extra so you can pay the shipping agent for them via western union and the payment is released to you after you have done that.

It is a scam to get that western union payment, they don't want your item and the shipping agent is just a scam to get that payment.

They are nearly always in Nigeria and can't even own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

xXxOliwkaa
Contributor
Contributor

are you sure this is a scam? I have received an email from service (at) paypal. com 
It says : Hello. my name is ..... and i am papal representative in charge of your transaction and so on. 
Then it gives shiiping agent information. Name, city, zip code country: Nigeria

it gives a security question and answer for this question, and also it says 

We require you to reply to this message with the following information for verification and confirmation as soon as you have sent the money:

The Money Transfer Control Number

The Sender's Name and address

We thank you for being an asset to PayPal and we hope to serve you better in the nearest future. Kindly reply to this message if you have any other question.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I am absolutely sure, that email is fake.

For a start folks in Nigeria cannot own paypal accounts.

This is a typical scam we see time and time again.

Just do a google search for nigeria and or ebay/paypal.

The reason your money is not in your paypal account is because it has not been sent.

And why on earth would paypal assist you in using a rival money transfer service ie western union.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Scam-western-union-money-transfer/m-p/437341...

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

xXxOliwkaa
Contributor
Contributor

Oh my God.. Thank you so much ! This is the first time I use paypal, and the first time I am selling something online..
Just one more question, what should I do now? Because 2 hours ago that person wrote to me saying that she needs and update asap regarding me paying the shipping cost etc. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ignore them and delete any further emails.

If they run to their normal pattern you will get ridiculous legal threats saying your going to be reported to the FBI / Interpol and anything else they can think of.

Just delete and ignore.

If it was an ebay transaction then file an unpaid item dispute to get your fees back again.

Then ask on the ebay boards where to find your buyer blocks and block international bids for now as its best to sell UK only until you have got confident on how things work.

Feel free to come back with any queries.

Your instincts were correct..........never send an item unless the funds are showing in your paypal balance. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

gimpy

hi there i got the samething the other day and i thought it was for real and now pay pal is telling me that it isnt a real email and that i am out 1500.00 and they wont help me at all and they stated that my email address isnt vertified but i logged in just fine...so i dont know what to do now....and the agent has my money and he was suppose to be here 2 days ago.....then show up today...and nothing 

i8 dont know what to do now...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you responded to a scam email pretending to be from paypal and then sent money or goods then paypal can't help you as the transaction was not done via paypal.

Never send anything if the money is not showing in your paypal account balance.

You talk about a shipping agent so i presume you were conned into sending a western union payment or moneygram to pay for a courier, if so they did no want your item the scam is getting that payment from you.

Paypal would NEVER ask you to use a rival payment provider. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.