Sent money F & F but pending their end

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Recently sent money to a friend using friends and family, it's gone through my end but they're having problems sending the money to their bank account.  They've been told because of the amount it has been flagged as 'suspicious', it's £350 jeez, less than a week's rent in some areas.  They were 1st told it'd be in their bank a/c in 24 hours, now they're being told Monday morning.  The whole point of me sending via Paypal was because it's supposed to be instant.

Is there any way of getting this speeded up?  I know it's only a couple of days but they've already moved the goalposts once so nothing stops them doing that again.  Also the money is for a sale item that might not be available on Monday.

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrumpyGit

Its instant from one paypal account to another.

However if you read up on withdrawals it states that in the UK its between 2-72 hours.

Normally 2-24 unless the person withdrawing the funds gets an email to say its going to be a random security check and then its released dead on 72 hours.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the swift reply.  Can I bother you for a direct link instead of having to go through all the T & Cs?  It would be much appreciated and no worries if you think I'm being rude.

I can also state they're waiting the whole 72 hours but haven't received an e-mail.

Login to Me Too

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm. 

Well I've read the 'User Agreement for PayPal Service' section

6. Withdrawing/Redeeming E- money'

and there is nothing about 2-72 hours.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrumpyGit

Well it just means i have to go through all the t's and c's instead of you  Smiley Frustrated

Firstly from the help pages >>

Why is my withdrawal on hold?

Withdrawals can take anything from 2 – 72 hrs to complete through the PayPal system. Generally they will complete within 2 hours however we will occasionally hold a withdrawal for further review. To provide one of the safest online payment services our internal security system reviews every transaction before it's released.

This type of review can happen for various reasons. For example, you may have received a higher-than-usual amount of money into your account, you may be logging in from an unsecure network or you may have made changes to your account profile recently.

Once our review has finished your withdrawal will show as ‘completed’ and will be processed to your bank account as long as the review did not turn up any issues.

Secondly >>

6.2c is one that can apply plus the one on payment holds in general >>

We may review your withdrawal transaction to mitigate any risks and/or to prevent money laundering and to ascertain whether any Restricted Activity (as set out in section 9) is taking place

I can only give you general advice on WHAT happens with withdrawals, I don't have time to go hunting around terms and conditions but hope those i posted helped.

Not sure why they did not get the email.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying.  I appreciate the time, trouble and effort you have put in order to help me.

I did ask for a direct link to the information you supplied me with because the user agreement I've read is different to the copy and paste you've supplied.  I would like to see your copy and paste response 1st hand (ie the official link).

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/BuyerProtComp_full&...

6. Withdrawing/Redeeming E- money

6.1 How to Withdraw/Redeem E-money. You may withdraw funds by electronically transferring them to your bank account or if you are a registered user of a Credit Card Withdrawal Region, your branded MasterCard or Visa card. Some jurisdictions may permit you to withdraw funds to either your bank account or your card. The bank account into which you request the redemption of E-money must be denominated in the home currency of your Account. Balances must be redeemed in your home currency – see section 6.4 if your Account holds a balance in multiple currencies.

1. Withdrawal/Redemption Limits. You agree to comply with our requests to verify your identity before we redeem E-money to you to allow us to reduce the risk of fraud or to otherwise comply with our anti-money laundering or other legal obligations. You can view your yearly and/or other periodic withdrawal limits, if any, by logging into your Account and clicking on the “View Limits” link on the “Account Overview.” For this purpose, “yearly” relates to each calendar year. We may, at our reasonable discretion (for example, without limitation, to limit fraud or credit risk), impose limits on the amount of money you can withdraw through our Service.

2. Execution methods and timeframes. 

1. General. Redemption transactions from your Payment Account will be executed within the timeframes set out in section 3.1.
    2. Redemptions/withdrawals to UK bank accounts. We will use the Faster Payments Service to process a redemption/withdrawal Payment Order (pursuant to section 3.1) where
      1. the payment is made to your UK bank account in Pounds Sterling;
      2. the receiving institution can receive the payment via the Faster Payments Service; and
      3. the payment amount is within the limits stipulated by the Faster Payments Service from time to time
      Redemption/withdrawal payments using the Faster Payments Service could (but are not guaranteed to) be credited to your bank account within 2 hours.
    3. Transaction Review. We may review your withdrawal transaction to mitigate any risks and/or to prevent money laundering and to ascertain whether any Restricted Activity (as set out in section 9) is taking place (“Redemption Risk”). Where a Redemption Risk is identified by us, we reserve the right to restrict your Payment Instrument and/or refuse your Payment Order. When you instruct us to perform a redemption, we may treat this as a future dated Payment Order which we will execute within the timeframes set out in section 3.1 once we determine the Redemption Risk has passed. If we release the restriction and/or proceed to process your withdrawal, you agree that the date of your Payment Order will start on the Business Day the restriction was lifted.

6.3 Lifting your withdrawal limit. In order to lift your withdrawal limit, you must complete the steps set out below.

1. In the UK: 1) Either: set up Direct Debit and complete the Random Deposit Process, or be successfully approved for and activate PayPal Credit; and 2) confirm your location (whether via our automated process, your telephone or by post) and 3) for Premier and Business Account holders provide supplemental business information.
  2. In the Relevant Countries: add a credit card and complete the Link and Confirm Card process.

PayPal may, from time to time, require you to, or provide you with the option of, carrying out other methods or procedures to lift your withdrawal limit.

6.4 Withdrawing Money in Multiple Currencies. If you have multiple currencies in your Balance, you will be able to choose from those when you withdraw funds, but, unless otherwise agreed, the withdrawal will take place in your home currency.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrumpyGit

Sorry not sure why i should waste anymore time on this.

I have told you that withdrawals take from 2-72 hours in the UK, that is a FACT.

Not sure what you mean by official link but the bit i posted is clearly stated in YOUR copy.

You will have to sort the whys and wherefores out yourself, I have other things to do  Smiley Wink

Byeee

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry you feel you're wasting your time. 

It would appear your copy and paste response has nothing to do with the UK User Agreement (as I've posted here), hence your refusal to send a link.

As far as I can tell the recipient should've received an e-mail if the money was to be withheld, this never happened.  All dialogue between recipient and PayPal has been via telephone.  Over 2 conversations the goalposts have been moved ie firstly he was told 24 hours and secondly 72 hours (after it became clear the 24 hour promise never materialised).  As far as I can see there is no reason for their actions without contacting the recipient or sender via e-mail or telephone  What makes it worse in this instance is we have made similar transactions before where there were absolutely no issues.

Hopefully others will be along, maybe someone will send the relevant link.  Until then I treat PayPal's actions as unlawful or at the very least very questionable..

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GrumpyGit

WHAT PART OF THIS IN YOUR LINK THAT WAS ALSO IN MINE DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND !!!

• Redemption/withdrawal payments using the Faster Payments Service could (but are not guaranteed to) be credited to your bank account within 2 hours.
  • Transaction Review. We may review your withdrawal transaction to mitigate any risks and/or

SO they clearly state that 2 hours is NOT guaranteed AND that they can review your withdrawal transaction to mitigate risk ie in your case a higher than usual withdrawal amount.

So that is what they are doing.

Now I am going to enjoy the sunshine so feel free to argue any little point you want as it won't make any difference.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GrumpyGit
Contributor
Contributor

As already stated, he was initially told the funds would be in his bank a/c within 24 hours and was also told a time, by 9.30am (this morning).  They then moved the goalposts.

If money is to be withheld then they are supposed to inform the recipient, they failed to do so.

Please be very careful how you fall off your high horse, especially with the hot weather.

Thanks anyway.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.