Sending Money to someone who does not have a PayPal account

mlsred
New Community Member

Hi

I am a little confused by the marketing around the new PayPal app. It seems to be suggesting that the recipient of the payment does not need a PayPal account to receive the money:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

The above link has a statement as follows:

You can transfer money to anyone living in the UK or almost anyone abroad. They don’t need a PayPal account – all you need is their email address or mobile number. You can even surprise them for that job well done or that cinema ticket they bought you last week.

How would someone without a PayPal account receive the money if they don’t have a PayPal account?

It seems to be demonstrating an easy way to send money to friends and sharing the costs of meals etc but if to send money everyone needs to sign up to PayPal link to their bank account, verify their email address etc etc.. This is not a “quick and easy” way to send money to friends

Have I misunderstood something?

Thanks

M

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's true you can send money to anyone even if they don't have a PayPal Account.  The catch is if they want to accept money, they would have to first open a PayPal Account. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.