Seller wants money as gift after PayPal held back purchase funds

FlyingPony
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I have agreed to purchase an item through a Facebook page. I sent the money via PayPal as a purchase, the seller showed me a screenshot of the money being held back by PayPal. The buyer has refunded my money and requested I send it as a gift saying the invoice number you have supplied which I have is to protect me and the seller whilst his account is being resolved. Advice on where I stand appreciated!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FlyingPony

Firstly if the funds were held it would have been because the seller is new and has to go via the new seller hold.

Funds are released to him when tracking shows your item as delivered and is your protection.

If you send as a gift you will HAVE NO BUYER PROTECTION and will help the seller evade paying his paypal fees AND going through the new seller hold to protect buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

FlyingPony
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. It was only after I'd posted that I realised that would avoid charges which I'm not a fan of. The seller has now offered I can pay as a purchase through a different PayPal account but my gut is saying no still. Bit too much messing around and a bit too good to be true I think sadly 😕 Thank you so much for your time and response
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.