Scam or not?

Btovee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out? Here is my situation, I am selling a car on gumtree and the buyer said they would pay by paypal, however the recept that I received for the payment when straight into my spam folder of my gmail account. So, this made me suspicious, it seems like a scam.

Here is part of the email

"I have just completed your payment and I expected paypal to have notified you to this effect. Check your paypal email folders (Inbox,spam or junk mail) l sent £1,050.00 GBP in all. l added £400 but £300 will be sent to my courier agent Headquarter in China through western union online www.westernunion.com  or at local post office,the extra £100 is to cover the western union fees. Paypal will not release the funds until you email them the western union details for verification and also to enable my pick up agent come for pick up, Here's the courier agent's details where the money will be sent using western union"

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Many Thanks.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56
Solved

minty1
Advisor
Advisor
Or car scams, gumtree scams
Login to Me Too

Btovee
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor
You're welcome. Remember never accept ppal for items that need collecting and never ship unless u see cleared payment in your account.
Login to Me Too

Chiizi
Contributor
Contributor

http://imgur.com/yZoNPVT,9UzKSK0

http://imgur.com/yZoNPVT,9UzKSK0#1

That's what my paypal looks like, sold a steam account, he said he'll pay, everything seemed fine, its been 7-8 hours now since he ''paid'' and i still haven't gotten the money, am i scammed ? It's just unreal if i got scammed, i mean everything looks fine, paypal shows the payment was marked as paid, wth is going on?

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Who sent who the invoice?

If the buyer sent you an invoice, you were scammed.

Login to Me Too

Chiizi
Contributor
Contributor

Well **bleep**, i am amazed how many ways there is to scam a noob in paypal, to me everything looked fine... well 3 days and i get my account back thanks to steam... just annoys the fact that people can actually scam pretty easily, Guess my only advice is that never send/give anything before you get money to be sure.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

also as a seller you need to know there is no seller protection for virtual / digital items so personally i would not use paypal to sell them, select bank transfer or similar.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.