SOUTH AFRICA RAND (ZAR)

bbridgens

Hi there,

I'm wanting to send some money to someone in South Africa but have noticed that you don't have the rand (ZAR) as part of your currency list.

Is there anyway to send money to South Africa and have it be converted to Rands without paying any additional fees?

Thank you

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

Adventurebug
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there!

I have designed my own website where I sell my photography in South Africa. I have just sold something and received an amount in USD. I have to link my bank account in order to receive the money, but it says that it must be an American bank. How can I go about getting my money out when I need to?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Carrie

Login to Me Too

Pho3niX90
Contributor
Contributor

The only way I know is for FNB clients (wich I am).

Staright from FNB's website you can withdraw straight from your paypal account, there is a fee though and takes roguhly 4-5 days to clear in your account. 

Login to Me Too

Adventurebug
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your advice!

Login to Me Too

Universal_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal,

We as a business use Ubiquiti Unifi Solution. Now the issue we are having is the HotSpot Control System intergrates with Paypal for Payments and allows me to select the Rands option, but you dont support ZAR in your currency list. I presume this is why i recieve countless errors.

If you have partnered with FNB, why would there be a issue intergrating ZAR? 

Furthermore there is a clear calling for the currency to be intigrated, why are you as a international company, not listening to the customers demands?

If this has something to do with our President, I appologise, however you guys dont seem to be doing much better at the moment. lol. Goodluck!

Please will you ask your developers whether this is in the pipeline or whether we all should be approaching your competition for a intergration.

I look forward to your feedback and not another standard "thank you and your message has been passed on" by the looks of things to the Manager of the Thin Air Department.

Kind Regards,

Frustrated Technical Director.

Login to Me Too

CoreZa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It is now July 2017 and 4 years later... 

Still no official response or plan in place which I have seen at least... 

I bank with FNB in South Africa, have my Paypal account (4+ years old) linked to my FNB account and I have transferred money to and from it in the past, yet simply no word on ZAR currency integration at all. 

Can someone, without the use of a copy / paste message, please let us all know if there is actually any form of planning for ZAR on the cards? 

I use actuity scheduling for my business and I am running on a squarespace account. Yet I am still limited to accepting USD / EUR as my payment alternatives. 

So to recap...

Paypal is linked with FNB. I am linked with FNB. I have used the service before (sending and receiving) - What then exactly in this logical string is the problem that ZAR cannot  be integrated? 

It's mind boggling to see Baht listed as a supported currency yet for ZAR currency there is absolutely no word at all. 

Surely you could look into this as a business.

Please

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi CoreZa,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

When we offer our service to a country, we need to ensure that we are compliant with both local and international laws before we can offer our full service.

Unfortunately it is not completely up to us to offer this service, the main banks in South Africa have rejected our proposal according to which PayPal can support the ZAR currency online.

Due to the challenges and complexities associated with the worldwide financial network, we cannot offer a firm date or timetable for expansion of specific services. We can promise you that we are working hard to enhance our service within the nations where we are offered and even when currently we cannot provide a service to receive money, we do not give up easily.

Please keep an eye on our website for any updates regarding this issue.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

TheXerg
New Community Member

Hello from 2018

I suspect this is related to 2 things.

The realistic alternative, SagePay, has majority stakeholders from our banking industry. Banks in SA are known to be anti-competitive and as a result are likely to block PayPal's attempts to create a good working relationship. 

There is another reality besides the monopoly problem, I work with some of these banks and their systems are so outdated, so backwards, basically run on potato's, that it will cost them an arm and a leg to update to faciliate PayPal's modern system. All SA ecommerce systems have to go into a credit agreemant with a payment provider due to the exchange with banks being completely manual and file upload driven. Based on some developments in the industry and job postings, we could see something in 2-3 years when the SA banks will be ready for this.

PayPal should approach Capitec or the new bank thats recently launched - Bank Zero, they are trying their best to upset the monopoly with modern tech and accounts so the agreemants may be easier and more satisfying to mull out.

Login to Me Too

Africantarget
New Community Member

Dear Paypal,

I am a on line merchant who has, for the last few years been longing for the day that paypal will add the ZAR currency to their list of accepted currencies. 

Can you please confirm whether there are any confirmed/solid plans for the addition of the ZAR currency to the paypal list of currencies?

An informed response to this question will sincerely be appreciated by myself and thousands of other merchants.

Tags (0)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Africantarget,

Please read my previous response in relation to ZAR currency being added to PayPal.

Thanks,

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

RustyDP

Hi,

Just another user eagerly awaiting for Paypal to support ZAR currency.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.