SOUTH AFRICA RAND (ZAR)

bbridgens

Hi there,

I'm wanting to send some money to someone in South Africa but have noticed that you don't have the rand (ZAR) as part of your currency list.

Is there anyway to send money to South Africa and have it be converted to Rands without paying any additional fees?

Thank you

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

PayPal_Conor

Hi bbridgens,

Welcome to our Community ForumSmiley Happy

I'm afraid at this time Rand (ZAR) is not a PayPal currency so it's best to send this payment in USD.

The receiver would then be charged a small conversion fee when withdrawing the funds to his/her bank in Rand.    

This link will give you a better idea of the fees involved here:

https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-withdrawal-fees-outside

Hope this helps bbridgens,

Conor

Login to Me Too

Billybb
New Community Member

HI Please could you let me know and it seems like countess other people know why Paypal does not support ZAR. Ivelooked back and this question has been asked numerous times with no answer.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

sportstersa
New Community Member

Dear Paypal,

I am a on line merchant who has, for the last few years been longing for the day that paypal will add the ZAR currency to their list of accepted currencies. 

Can you please confirm whether there are any confirmed/solid plans for the addition of the ZAR currency to the paypal list of currencies?

An informed response to this question will sincerely be appreciated by myself and thousands of other merchants.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi sportstersa,

Welcome to the Community Forum! We can definitely appreciate your wishes to have the ZAR currency added to the list of currencies that PayPal supports. However, at the moment, we're still expanding our services in many countries where we're offered.

Offering certain services, including the processing of payments in certain currencies, involves implementing agreements with the banking authorities and regulators in the countries in question. For this reason, we can't provide an exact timeframe on when we will be able to begin offering the option to process payments in ZAR through our system.

I will also of course pass your feedback onto the relevant department here, to make them aware that there is a demand for this option to be implemented in South Africa.

You can find our list of supported currencies here:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/seller/mc/MCIntro-outside

Thanks for your patuence and understanding,

Sophie

Login to Me Too

BZA
New Community Member

We have more and more clients wanting to use Paypal in South Africa for their ecommerce websites as they are on Adobe Business Catalyst which supports Paypal.  Unfortunately they need to be able to sell in ZAR (South African Rands)

This original enquiry was 5 months ago but I have come across a lot of others over several years - has anything further transpired?  Also we are currently forced by FNB, if we have ever had dealings with them and our ID is on their records, to open a transactional account at FNB in order to receive our funds when we actually deal with Standard Bank for everything else.  This is also not satisfactory.

Do we give up on Paypal and look for alternatives or is a solution in site?  Unfortunately they have our company specifically over a barrel if we want to receive our payouts from Adobe BC who only use Paypal.  I currently have 10 clients waiting for an answer for their sites.

Many Thanks

Login to Me Too

Dcjsmed
New Community Member
I am a web developer and I created a online store for a customer who will be using the South Africa Rand as the payment. I am using Wordpress as the frame work for creating the site. At first I chose WooCommerce at the payment platform as well as using their themes for the look and feel of the site. Then upon setting up the store I found that they offered PayPal but it stopped me from setting it up because paypal does not accept the Rand currency. After researching I found that by using the WP eCommernce plugin and themes instead of the WooCommerce that WP eCommerce has it built in to display the Rand and accept the payment but it will also automatically convert the Rand to US Dollars to transfer the funds to your PayPal account. That is the only why I was able to find a solution for accepting Rand payment online through PayPal....hope this helps someone out there with an online store
Login to Me Too

sportguru
New Community Member

Hi PayPal

I think this forum and the comments regarding the SA Rand as a listed currency on your platform is just the tip of the iceberg. I run three online stores and it is so frustrating having to find alternatives for ZAR transactions. I think as a company you could safely assume that if you were to offer ZAR as a currency, you would have nearly every online shop in South Africa switch to PayPal. 

So surely our online market is not that small and insignificant to be ignored! 

I hope that as an organization you will make the necessary changes and welcome the South African online retailers.

Regards

Login to Me Too

VeriMedia
New Community Member

I have asked PayPal the question of including ZAR as a currency since 2013.  In 2013 they answered me with words like Reserve Bank etc. etc.... 

This is really and truly frustrating.  

COME ON PAYPAL...  as you can see, there is hunderds of us waiting on you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi VeriMedia,

Welcome to our community page. 🙂

I can assure you we are always looking for new opportunities to expend our services and products across the globe and one day adding ZAR currency to our currency list is one of them. For now I am happy to pass on your feedback to the right place. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Arda

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.