Receiving Payments

jak68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Today I have received a payment for an item, I have had an email but it says for the funds to be released to my paypal account I have to enter the tracking number for the item I have sold and also the email it has come from sems strange. I think this is a dodgy transaction am I correct ?Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

philh530
Contributor
Contributor

I have just sold two items on ebay paid for through paypal. i have been trying for the last 4 days to get paypal to release my money so that i can post the sold items, postal cost included in sale price, paypal are refusing to release the funds that belong to me. insinuating that i am a bad risk, i have a 100% selling and buying record, i have had to borrow money to post the sold items, paypal still refuse to release funds.  they keep asking me to print postal lable. i keep teiing them that i don't have a printer as i have no need for one, any suggestions on what to do next... Phil

Login to Me Too

jak68
Contributor
Contributor

Does your paypal acount show the payments as pending?

Login to Me Too

philh530
Contributor
Contributor

yes they do, it is causing me a lot of problems, the reason i sold the items is that i am moving house and the money from the sales is to go towards the rental of a van, if this money is not released bfore the weekend i will be well in the proverbial  Phil

Login to Me Too

inkarani
New Community Member

i am so glad i found your answer. i just got this type of "buyer", i got the confirmation email from paypal that says they have paid the item but i don't have it in my account history. it also tells me to send the item to nigeria. she keeps on emailing me asking for the tracking number which is making me guilty because i havent sent it, but i cant help but feel like something is wrong with it. 

Login to Me Too

philh530
Contributor
Contributor

you may not be. i am having the same problem , i have been paid for two items, and paypal refuse to release my funds, saying i have to provide tracking and postal proof, they keep asking me to print a postal lable, i don't have a printer so i can't print one. i spoke to them on the phone, and they told me the same thing, it's a new policy to protect the seller , is what she told me. i did get her to release the funds, which she did, into my paypal balance, but i asked them to be transfered to my bank 3 days ago they have not been transfered, and it states that they are being held for upto 21 days, Phil

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly if the funds are SHOWING IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BUT PENDING then it is the new seller hold >>> all the info on payment release is in the link below.

http://sellerupdate.ebay.co.uk/autumn2013/changes-payment-holds

Secondly if they ARE NOT showing as pending in your paypal account and the buyer is saying you have to provide a tracking number before the payment SHOWS in your paypal balance then it is a scam as per above.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

philh530
Contributor
Contributor

the payment from the buyer is cleared, it is paypal that are asking for tracking and postal proof

Login to Me Too

jak68
Contributor
Contributor

as mentioned above, I spoke to Paypal today and they said any payments made correctly will always show in your account either as pending or cleared. If nothing is showing after a few hours of transaction then it will be a con.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.