Possible scam in progress...

sky_shrimp
Contributor
Contributor

I was browsing eBay for a new iPhone Sunday night and noticed an iPhone 6 Plus ending in 2 minutes. It was without a screen. 

The listed stated that the phone hasn't been reset and was for £117 + postage. He stated that he didn't accept returns in the listing. I didn't bid as I wasn't sure whether or not it was locked to an Apple ID account. If it was, it would be useless. No one bid due to this vague discrepancy, so I sent the seller a message stating that I was interested in buying the base unit after the auction ended, but wanted to know first whether an Apple ID was attached to the phone. He said that he had a lot of emails for the base unit for silly quotes and wanted £115 posted. He stated that there wasn't an Appple ID attached to it. I agreed to buy as he had 220 feedbacks which are 100% positive. I also have 100% positive feedback and assumed he was also legit. 

He agreed to accept a return if I encountered password or passcode locks, but assured me that he knew whatever password was required.

As kernowlass knows, I had quite a few beers sunday night Smiley Embarassed I think it might be a scam as he could have bought a new screen for £20 and listed the phone for over £200.

He was eager to close the deal and assured me. I asked him to send me a tracking number after posting and he said "of course mate". I asked for a return address and he gave one. This was Sunday. It's now Tuesday and he hasn't emailed me a tracking number. He hasn't emailed me at all. I haven't emailed him yet, as he might not have had the time to post it yesterday (Monday). He should have at least emailed me to let me know what's going on. I sent the £115 to him using 'Pay for Goods or Services' and not 'Gift' to cover me. 

I'll give it another day before emailing him. Am I covered? I still have our eBay communications which I could screen grab for PayPal.

What should I do guys and girls?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sky_shrimp

Hi again  Smiley Happy

If it was not an Ebay transaction but a private Paypal one then none of your conversation OR the auction would probably count in the event of a Paypal dispute (unless you clearly stated that the item you were paying for was auction number xxxxxxx).

As you sent it goods / services then you would be covered for non receipt of item BUT it would have been better to have asked him to send you an invoice / money request with a FULL description of the item he was selling.

The reason I say this is because if you 'sent' a payment for a 'phone' and you did not put a full description of the item you are expecting to receive and he sends you a toy phone then to be honest any dispute for 'item received but not as described' would probably fail.

HOWEVER in my personal opinion you should always fund your paypal payments with a credit card and then you have a second level of protection, if a dispute does not work then you have the option of a chargeback via your card issuer.

One final thing, you mention he had 100% feedback BUT you have to remember that buyers cannot receive neg feedback on Ebay. So he could have 100% feedback as a buyer only and this is his first sale? Do you see what I mean? Always click on feedback 'as a seller' when you view a feedback profile.

If he is a new seller then he may be subject to the 'new seller hold' and as such his funds would be held for up to 21 days if he does not provide a tracking number so the odds of a dispute being found in your favour are increased if paypal have the funds on hold   Smiley Wink

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sky_shrimp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks kernowlass.

12 of his 220 feedbacks are from buyers. It's now Wednesday and he hasn't emailed me at all, so I've sent an email kindly asking for the tracking number and referenced the Ebay item number. I'll give him until Thursday night to reply before starting a PayPal dispute. 

Login to Me Too

sky_shrimp
Contributor
Contributor

No reply. 

I thought about going to the police station to get a crime reference number and phoned PayPal for advise first. They assured me that I would get my money back after 10 days as the seller will not be able to provide a tracking number. 

I'll update when I get the outcome.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.