Paypal goods and services

Maggiewaggie
Contributor
Contributor
Hi here When paying someone via goods and services does paypal hold the payment so the seller can't withdraw it straight away? I'm trying to buy a macbook but what if the seller withdraws the money and I never get my macbook and paypal can't take money from their account?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maggiewaggie

Paypal does hold payments for new sellers BUT that is to protect paypal and not you.

If you win a dispute and the seller does not refund you then paypal will do so under their buyer protection scheme. Then paypal will go after the seller to pay themselves back again, that is why they hold payments for new sellers, so paypal does not lose out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maggiewaggie

Paypal does hold payments for new sellers BUT that is to protect paypal and not you.

If you win a dispute and the seller does not refund you then paypal will do so under their buyer protection scheme. Then paypal will go after the seller to pay themselves back again, that is why they hold payments for new sellers, so paypal does not lose out.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Maggiewaggie
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass So let's say I don't receive my item after a week and the seller has withdrawn the money so paypal can't debit their account. Will paypal pay me back even though there are no funds in the sellers account?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maggiewaggie

Yes, of course, thats what buyer protection is all about.

Why not read up on the small section in the user agreement to do with it to make sure you are covered as much as possible.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Maggiewaggie
Contributor
Contributor
That's great thank you for taking the time to reply!
Login to Me Too

RyanGray
New Community Member
Hi there I sold a product via eBay the buyer paid via goods and services when will I see a the money in my PayPal... currently no pending nothin but I received email sayin payment was made.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanGray

Why would your buyer pay for an Ebay item via goods / services and not Ebay checkout?

If it was an off-Ebay transaction and the funds are not in your balance then this sounds like a current SCAM.

Read this and see if it fits   >>>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

They hijack Ebay user-i.ds but can't checkout as they don't have paypal accounts and have no intention of paying.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.