Paypal charged Fees to receive money

njj272
Contributor
Contributor

I requested funds of £42.95 from a friend, but I have been charged £1.66 paypal fees.  Why would this happen as it states on the site that there are no fees to recieve funds unless there is a currency conversion.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@njj272

If you are SELLING then of course there are fees.

You pay a fee as a seller if you send a money request / invoice OR send money > goods /services.

The ONLY time you don't pay a fee is if it is a gift payment when the sender uses the send money > family / friends option and only then is it free if you don't fund that payment via a card but use bank transfer or funds in your paypal balance.

Suggest you re-read the section on FEES.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

njj272
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your detailed reply...and for you suggestion to re read the section on FEES. I fully appreciate that if i am SELLING then of course there are fees. However where did i say that i was SELLING anything? Was it classed as SELLING because I chose to get reimbursed through paypal so that I didnt have to give someone my bank details? OR is it because I requested the money as I knew the total amount and thought I would prompt them to send the money so they didnt forget. My next question is that not all REQUESTS for money are in payment for goods or services. For example if some colleagues and myself went out for a Christmas meal and I payed for it, we then wanted to split the bill between us how would i request the amount each person owed me without it looking like i was SELLING them something? Thanks again. Nicky.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@njj272

. However where did i say that i was SELLING anything?

You didn't and I did not reply that you were, what you DID say was  >>

as it states on the site that there are no fees to recieve funds unless there is a currency conversion.

So I explained that you were incorrect on that assumption and that you pay FEES when you sell an item and not just on currency conversion.

I also explained when you pay a fee and when you do not and I am not going to re-write what I have already told you.

You chose the wrong option to get your money, so you got a fee as paypal saw you as a seller.

If you want to actually ''request'' funds rather than just have the sender use send money > family / friends then your BEST option is to get a PayPal.Me account and then you can request using the friends / family option yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kate57
Contributor
Contributor

Kernowlass, why are you also so aggressive in your posts?

You absolutely did post your reply as if he was selling and totally ignored what he wrote in is orginal about requesting money from friends.

How come you didn't just explain that the best way to get money from friends is via Paypal Me like you did in your second post.

I'm totally unable to understand why you spend most of your life on these forums when you are so dismissive of everything anyone posts.  

If you want to help why don't you approach each question in a friendly manner instead of being aggressive and patronising to people who are just asking for help?

Note that I haven't needed to use capitals in this post like you enjoy doing so much.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kate57

You absolutely did post your reply as if he was selling and totally ignored what he wrote in is orginal about requesting money from friends.

Really so what was this in my FIRST post then??????  >>>>>>>>>

The ONLY time you don't pay a fee is if it is a gift payment when the sender uses the send money > family / friends option and only then is it free if you don't fund that payment via a card but use bank transfer or funds in your paypal balance.

The above totally answered the question about f/f fees in my very first reply to the OP  and I also replied stating that you do pay fees for selling and not just for currency conversion. Maybe YOU need to READ.

And its very odd that most people are very grateful for my help and don't find my posts in the least bit agressive, in fact i gave the OP a complete and detailed answer to their question and any capitals is done for emphasis and not agression.

But then when you have only answered 2 - 3 folks yourself its always good to have a pop at those that have been voluntarily helping for years.

Also the MODERATORS of the forum are more than happy with my posts, so if they are why should i bother to listen to you?

You who HAS NOT helped the OP at all.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

njj272
Contributor
Contributor
@Kate57 Thank you. I was starting to think i was the only one who thought that @kernowlass was being very aggressive towards me. I agree that the information she provided was useful and very indepth but the tone and format of the reply was very inappropriate for a help forum. It is widely known that the use of capital letters is a written form of shouting. The use of phrases such as 'of course' and the whole tone of the response left me feeling like i was being accused or reprimanded. I have no doubt that with the impressive amount of Kudos received others have found her helpful. However the fact that no one has complained could be that the dont dare incase they incurr more aggression! I would certainly think twice about asking for further advice on here as i dont like feeling belittled for asking a question. Do the moderators review these boards? I do wonder how they would interpret the previous posts. Perhaps if they are reading this they would care to comment. Nicky
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
@njj272 Believe me they are fine with my posts as there was nothing wrong with it. And capitals are used in emphasis. You were the one that said there is NO fee unless currency conversion and I not only corrected that wrong assumption but went on to explain re friends family fees in the same first post. You had a full answer in that first post that dealt with both your wrong assumption and your original question yet you chose to post again saying I had not answered you fully when I had done so you were the rude one if anyone was. But hey don't worry as I will never give up my time to respond to a problem you have on this board ever again. Bye

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

njj272
Contributor
Contributor
Kernowlass It was never my intention to be rude to you and if you felt that my questioning of your initial response was rude then i think you may have misunderstood. I actually stated that your initial reply was useful. I simply asked for clarification of your response as you were under impression that i was selling something. I wanted to be sure that you had understood the situation surrounding my question incase it had a bearing on your answer. To be honest i felt that from the outset your responses were somewhat agressive. However the information you supplied did help me to understand that i had used the wrong method of requesting payment. I have subsequently set up paypal.me as you suggested. Please lets be adult about this situation. I think the lesson to be learnt is that it's not just what is written, but how it is emphasised or punctuated can have a massive impact on the other persons interpretation of what is meant. Thank you again for your help and for taking the time to answer my initial question. Regards Nicky
Login to Me Too

kanaand2010
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, I have run into the same problem. Were you ever able to get the fee back from Paypal's greedy coeffers or is it lost forever into their profit margin? So if money is mistakenly sent as goods and services instead of a gift, is it possible to refund it?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.