PayPal, Gumtree scam

Jessicaorme
Contributor
Contributor
A few days ago I put up an advert on Gumtree, yesterday I heard from a lady called Anna Beatson saying she would like to buy my item, however she is disabled and cannot get to me therefore would have to send somebody else to get it. I thought nothing of this and just assumed she would send a family and friend over to look at the item and if they liked it they would hand over the cash and be gone. She started asking me for my PayPal details so she could transfer the money (£220). I don't know about you, but I would never buy something I haven't seen unless it came with a trusted returns policy. The lady said she would speak to me tomorrow because her carer is here and that was that. This morning I received an email from her again saying she has transferred £525 into my bank account and due to her being disabled she is unabled to go to a MoneyGram post office and pay the currier. She told me that I needed to transfer the money to a Mike Williams who lives in Paris... Why the **bleep** would somebody from Paris come all the way to my house to collect this item? I also received an email from "PayPal" stating that my funds will be held until I pay this Mike Williams. Something just didn't seem right, I also compared my previous PayPal emails to this one and they were nothing the same. I replied to this email saying I cannot get to the post office to transfer this money and she responded saying I must do it because it's made her "out of pocket". I then told her I won't do anything because this is a scam, she hasn't replied since. There are some dangerous people in this world. Beware of her.
Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

NeenW
New Community Member
This has just happened to me. Exact same story as above. Wants it for cousin, she's deaf and just had surgery. I had sent an email back asking if she'd like me to deliver the item if local but 'she' ignored that question and asked me only to confirm price. I just got a gut feeling so googled her name! Thank god I did. Although I'm concerned now as they have my e-mail address and postcode. Urgh
Login to Me Too

Anon123
Contributor
Contributor
Is there anyway to get my money back if I did fall for her scam?
Login to Me Too

Jessicaorme
Contributor
Contributor
you may be able to open a case with PayPal to get your money back
Login to Me Too

mazz7
Contributor
Contributor
Hey, I would definitely give PayPal a call. How did u transfer the money? If it was online, call your bank ASAP or report it to police even?
Login to Me Too

Anon123
Contributor
Contributor
I transferred it in cash via moneygram:( I feel so stupid
Login to Me Too

Jessicaorme
Contributor
Contributor
I don't know if anything can be done 🙁 How much was it? Speak to PayPal or even call the police it is fraud really I guess
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jessicaorme

@Anon123

Unfortunately paypal can do nothing for folks scammed in this way as none of the transaction would have been done using paypals site.

You may send a money request or invoice but that would never be paid, they would send a spoof email instead that imitated paypal and made it look as if the buyer had paid.

They are normally in Africa somewhere and use hijacked or unidentifiable user i.d's or email addresses etc.

3 golden rules to keep you safe are >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg moneygram or western union.

If in doubt ask first.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Faye2
Contributor
Contributor

She is still at it. Same thing happened to me this morning, A** B****on, I thought it was odd when a text came through and her name was at the top and obviously she's never been in my contacts and there was no phone number. I emailed like everyone else did and got the reply about her being deaf and disabled, I was suspicious so googled her name and thanks to you all and your posts, I found out she was a scam artist before sending her any details. Thank you everyone

Login to Me Too

mazz7
Contributor
Contributor

literally the exact same thing has happened to me, 

shes deaf, cant send money herself. etc etc

what a waste of my saturday. 

tbh i find 'her' insulting to people with actual disabilites , those who are in wheel chairs or are deaf could probably conquer the world if they wanted, let alone have a visit to a money gram ( whatever that even is) stop them. 

Login to Me Too

Faye2
Contributor
Contributor
Well said, she's disgusting saying what she does.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.