PayPal, Gumtree scam

Jessicaorme
Contributor
Contributor
A few days ago I put up an advert on Gumtree, yesterday I heard from a lady called Anna Beatson saying she would like to buy my item, however she is disabled and cannot get to me therefore would have to send somebody else to get it. I thought nothing of this and just assumed she would send a family and friend over to look at the item and if they liked it they would hand over the cash and be gone. She started asking me for my PayPal details so she could transfer the money (£220). I don't know about you, but I would never buy something I haven't seen unless it came with a trusted returns policy. The lady said she would speak to me tomorrow because her carer is here and that was that. This morning I received an email from her again saying she has transferred £525 into my bank account and due to her being disabled she is unabled to go to a MoneyGram post office and pay the currier. She told me that I needed to transfer the money to a Mike Williams who lives in Paris... Why the **bleep** would somebody from Paris come all the way to my house to collect this item? I also received an email from "PayPal" stating that my funds will be held until I pay this Mike Williams. Something just didn't seem right, I also compared my previous PayPal emails to this one and they were nothing the same. I replied to this email saying I cannot get to the post office to transfer this money and she responded saying I must do it because it's made her "out of pocket". I then told her I won't do anything because this is a scam, she hasn't replied since. There are some dangerous people in this world. Beware of her.
Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jessicaorme

Been ongoing for years, just search the zillions of posts on here and on the internet about this scam.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gaydo
New Community Member
I've just read your thread about Anna Beatson! I'm actually in conversation with 'her' right now... She wants to buy a designer stroller from me for her cousin, but she can't come and view the goods because she's in a wheelchair and deaf. She's asked for my PayPal email (which I've given). I won't be sending any further info after reading this thread.... However can she scam me with just this info or will it be ok as long as I don't send anything else? HELP PLEASE!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gaydo

Everytime you sell or send an email you give away your email address so if it was that easy to scam someone none of us would be safe.

As long as you have a strong password and have not given her that !!! then you are ok.

They are not interested in hacking your account, they just want to scam you via sending a courier payment via western union or moneygram.

Just ignore the emails and delete them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

slojma
Contributor
Contributor
Omg she talking with me today about my pushchair. Same situation. What should I do I give her my email and nick name.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@slojma

Ignore, i doubt its a her, they work out of gangs in Africa.

Don't give your email or any info as they have been known to sign you up to horrid sites as revenge.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

slojma
Contributor
Contributor
I emailed her about police etc and she stop emailing me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@slojma

Well "she" would as they know they can't scam you and will not waste anymore time on you and will go on to try another victim.

But the threat of the police is pointless as they are not in the UK and nothing the UK police can do about it.

BUT if you try and wind them up then as i said they have been known to sign victims up to horrid web sites as revenge so best to just ignore them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Lilibetliz
New Community Member
I have just had exactly the same email but from Anne Beatson! Deaf, just had surgery, wants to buy my pram for her cousin. Can't collect herself so sending a courier and will transfer via PayPal. The who email seemed to well prepared and urgent. So glad I discovered this thread!!!!
Login to Me Too

Jessicaorme
Contributor
Contributor
It was Anne, sorry must have been predictive text changing it to Anna. I'm glad you didn't fall for the scam.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.