Overcharged on Paypal fees?

Astra13
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the UK and ordered a product from the US.  The product and shipping came to a total of $301, which (according to multiple currency convertors) is around £42.  I transfered the money from my bank into my Paypal account first, then I made the payment.  However, Paypal has taken off £251 and I'm not sure why.  I can't seem to find an option to contact them about this - it's all to do with disputing a purchase or the likes, which isn't what I need to ask.  Can anyone advise me?  I thought that sellers generally pay fees(?), and as the charge came from my paypal account (not my bank account) the maximum I should pay - if it's up to me to pay the fees - is 1%.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

fwefcwe
Contributor
Contributor

So you're querying the total amount and not just the fees part?  If so my guess is that you're overlooking the currency conversion.  Paypal make money on this, usually about 2-3%.  They say no fees for currency conversions, but their rate is consistently bad, so in effect it is a fee.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.