New Russian law or scam?

ReadyToGoCat
New Community Member

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have recently done some freelance work for a Russian company. The agreement was that they'd pay me by PayPal, but they're now telling me they can't do this because of a new Russian law. I've done a little research and I can't find any reason for them not being able to send me my money via PayPal, which makes me wonder if it's a scam; they're asking for my bank details to transfer the money that way instead, which obviously I'm very reluctant to give. I can't find any evidence of them being scammers, but neither can I find any evidence of this apparent new Russian law. Has anyone else come accross anything like this?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ReadyToGoCat

As folks in Russia can send and receive paypal payments then not sure what they mean.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ReadyToGoCat
New Community Member

Thanks Kernowlass. I looked at that link before I made this post (found it in someone else's thread). I don't understand what they mean either. They said the payment would be in euros (before they decided they couldn't do PayPal at all). I doubt that would have anything to do with it though... ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.