Money still didn't appear on account, was the payment gift a scam or what is happening please help!

reb909

Hello

Yesterday my buddy sold something online and wrote with the buyer telling him to send him 100$ via paypal.

So since we both do not know much about paypal i wanted to ask the community if they hopefully know better then us and can maybe help us with our problem here.

So basically the buyer "paid" the money and sent the money to my friends paypal account but still now after maybe 28 hours there is no money showing up on his account.

He recieved 2 emails one with a "bill" of the payment.

And another one with just this 

Payment of $100.00 USD from     ...               has been completed and sent to .....   the payment may take up to 24 hours to appear on your account.This payment is non-refundable.

Did he really pay my buddy now or was it just a scam??

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

reb909

KIB_1608
I've had a similar issue which was on paypals end I sent a payment to my friend in the amount of £15 He got an email saying they payment had been sent to him but it wasn't showing up in his account I could see the money had been taken out from his bank Long story short after around 2 hours on the phone to PayPal (literally 2 hours after being transferred to 5 people over and over), I was told they were having payment problems and it should appear in my account within the next 48-72 hours If it's not their by tomorrow or the day after I'd say phone up PayPal and see what's going on. The above is from my personal experience and is only what has happened to me It may be different for you I hope this helps you 🙂
Login to Me Too

hoolit
New Community Member

I also came on this forum to ask about a missing transaction, so thanks KIB_1608 for dealing with the phonelines for us!  Would be good of them to let people know!  In my case it's an ebay transation, the item has been marked as paid on ebay and I can get to a record of the transaction from the ebay order details page, so I know it's not a scam, but if I go onto my paypal account it's not there at all.  It was a mobile app payment from another currency so that might be slower if they're having problems.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@reb909

Was it marked as an invoice then its probably a scam doing the rounds as its been sent by a buyer and altered to look as though he has paid you.

Signs its a scam are >>>

its an invoice BUT sellers send invoices not buyers

marked as paid

marked as gift

says payment won't show in your balance for eg 24 hours

can't be chargedback.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.

Paypal payments are more or less instant.

Paypal will never tell you that a payment can't be subject to a chargeback if thats what scammers are still putting on invoices.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.