Help!

diversityfan
Contributor
Contributor

Basically I bought tickets to see Diversity next year from a lady on Facebook. We chatted for a number of weeks about them and she said she had 4 Platinum VIP Packages, this means you get to meet them and get seats in the first five rows. 

As a surprise I bought them for my family. I spoke to the lady on the phone and she gave me her E-bay username, To clarify the account was hers she messaged me from it. I thought that was all ok. She was selling each platinum ticket for £200 which I thought was a reasonable deal because the tickets to London are £161.15. So not too much on top of each ticket.

She came across so nice, she asked me specifically to send funds as Friends & Family - I was a little unsure but she seemed genuine. I transferred the funds over a week ago and since then she hasn't picked up her phone and she's not responded on Facebook but she's been on it and posting. I paid using my Paypal funds no credit card used. My friend purchased an item from her store online so we now have her address, what can we do now?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@diversityfan

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only recourse is the small claims court.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

diversityfan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response. You say Scam sellers often ask for this payment, so what happens if this lady is doing the same thing to others? For instance as an example say five other people paid the same amount as me? She could be taking thousands off of people and getting away with doing so. Does that seem fair? It sounds like to me Paypal are justifying fraudulent behaviour.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@diversityfan

Yes of course she could be doing it to others.

BUT it was your choice to use the family / friends option.

If she was not a mate or family member then why would you use it?

AND when you click to pay using family / friends there is no buyer protection written on it and there is if you select goods / services.

So paypal gives you buyer protection but if you choose not to use it then thats not their fault.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

diversityfan
Contributor
Contributor

I do have to say the attitude of Paypal comes across a bit Blase on this particular topic of F & F. Maybe there should be more protection, for instance you can say this is all my fault but I wasn't aware of buyer protection, I assumed all payments were reversible. I'm now down over £800 and I think it's clear that sort of money wouldn't be seen as a 'GIFT' amount, and large funds like that should be monitored or at least held until Paypal can clarify why this amount was sent. I'm deeply distressed at the moment and no one over the phone want's to help. I keep getting informed I clicked F&F and there's nothing anybody can do. 😞

Would the authorities not take this further on my behalf? I have the ladies address now and Facebook messages, surely this would be seen as fraudulent behaviour and an internet scam?

Login to Me Too

diversityfan
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please respond to my previous message?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@diversityfan

So sorry for having to go out and visit family for Sunday lunch when i should have stayed at home just to answer when you posted.   Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

diversityfan
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't mean to come across rude, I'm just a little upset. Can you please offer further assistance. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.