Craigslist

ryanandhayden
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I am looking to buy some phones from craiglist. The seller wants me to pay via paypal. Would I be covered if it turned out to be a scam seeing as I am not buying them through eBay.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You have buyer protection for non receipt of item or item received but not as described as long as you pay using the goods / services option OR pay an money request or invoice.

DO NOT use the family / friends option whatever the seller says.

HOWEVER buyer protection is never 100% especially with the item received but not as described dispute.

For eg if you buy from ebay and the item is misdescribed then paypal can look at the auction to see how the seller described it.

BUT if you pay privately then it depends on the description that the seller puts on the money request or invoice or what you put on when you send the payment as to what you are paying for.

eg if you or he puts "phone" and he sends a toy phone then paypal may find in the sellers favour as he has sent what he said he would. But if he puts phone / type / number / size /etc etc etc then you would have more cover.

You need to read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your transaction and i would also advise funding your paypal payment with a credit card for that bit of extra protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You have buyer protection for non receipt of item or item received but not as described as long as you pay using the goods / services option OR pay an money request or invoice.

DO NOT use the family / friends option whatever the seller says.

HOWEVER buyer protection is never 100% especially with the item received but not as described dispute.

For eg if you buy from ebay and the item is misdescribed then paypal can look at the auction to see how the seller described it.

BUT if you pay privately then it depends on the description that the seller puts on the money request or invoice or what you put on when you send the payment as to what you are paying for.

eg if you or he puts "phone" and he sends a toy phone then paypal may find in the sellers favour as he has sent what he said he would. But if he puts phone / type / number / size /etc etc etc then you would have more cover.

You need to read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your transaction and i would also advise funding your paypal payment with a credit card for that bit of extra protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Carlos

Hey ryanandhayden!

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! The response provided by @kernowlass is very accurate. You can also find more information about the PayPal Buyer Protection in here http://ow.ly/NBxVC

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.