Charged a fee to request money from my roommate who has PayPal account. Why?

SamuelWeng
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why I was charged a fee for requesting money from my roommate who also have Paypal account. It was pizza money that I paid for him first not for a service or good. So I refunded the money since I saw the suggection from this commuinty, but even I refunded the money, I still needed to pay certain amount of fee to refund it. When I requested the money again to see if my roommate's side had any option to choose for friend or family, but there was not such an option from my roommate's side in his Paypal account. The only thing he can do is to choose to send it or deny it.(I asked him to deny it) Why the webside shows that requesting money from a friend is free but I was charged. Please help me.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamuelWeng

You send a money request or invoice when you are selling something and you pay a fee.

If your buyer selects send money > goods / services then they are paying for items and you pay a fee.

The only time you do not pay a fee is if your ''family member or friend'' use the send money > family / friends option and fund it from funds in their paypal balance OR bank transfer and NOT a card and then its free.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SamuelWeng
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. So to request money is not free and not avalible to use between family and friends, right?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.