Cannot transfer Canadian PayPal funds to American PayPal account

Gavia
Contributor
Contributor

I appear to be stuck in a bit of a banking Catch-22. I'm an American citizen but lived in Canada for 21 years. I moved back to the States in early 2011. I have a PayPal account that I had opened while still living in Canada. I no longer have any Canadian bank accounts or Canadian credit cards. I have a balance in my Canadian PayPal account that I would like to transfer to my American PayPal account. The catch is, it appears I have to have an active Canadian bank and/or credit card account to be able to execute this type of transaction. After entering the amount and the recipient's e-mail address (i.e., my e-mail address associated with my American PayPal account) and selecting the payment type, I am redirected to a new webpage, at the top of which states:

"To complete this payment, add a debit or credit card to your PayPal account or Update your Credit Card or Debit Card."

I tried adding my American credit card, but since it is associated with an American billing address, the Canadian PayPal system will not accept it. So, effectivey, it appears that the funds in my Canadian PayPal account are "stuck" there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to resolve this frustrating conundrum?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You need a card attached to use funds in your balance.

You could contact customer services and see if they can send you a postal cheque for the funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gavia
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you kindly for the explanation and the suggestion, kernowlass. I will give that a try.

Login to Me Too

Gavia
Contributor
Contributor

Incidentally, I just now noticed that I signed up for the UK help forum. I'm not quite sure how I managed to do that! My apologies.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.