Cancelling a payment and receving in paypal account

paucineuronal
Contributor
Contributor

I've made a payment to a wrong email address due to the seller's typo. I've cancelled the payment but I want the money to get back into the PayPal account ballance so I can make the payment faster to the right email address.

The cancellation was done within an hour of the payment and the money transfer is pending in the bank, but will be honored tomorrow.

I don't know if I made myself clear. As far as I know when I cancelled it said the money has been returned to my credit card. As I've read here, it 1st goes to the paypal account balance and then to the credit card. Is that right?

Is there a way I can get it to stay in the account so I can pay from there directly and don't lose anymore time until the bank updates the statement?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

robsteer
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly there's not an option for that, legally PayPal have to send card payments back to the card issuer so it gets sent straight from PayPal there.

If you added and confirmed your bank account to make the payment the refund would come back to your PayPal balance. but cards have to go through a slightly different system.

Bit of a bummer but there's no stopping it sadly.

🙂

Login to Me Too

paucineuronal
Contributor
Contributor

So it's a couple of days wait before it gets to paypal then some more before it's on the credit card again? I was hoping in 3-4 business days to be back on the card.

It's a bit of a bummer because when paying it all happens very fast, the ammount is locked from your account and away it goes. All good on this side.

When cancelling, even if looks fast to refund you, it actually can take a lot of time within paypal. Making the statements such as "money has been returned" when in fact "money will be returned".

At least a time frame would be nice. Also it would be nice to add a bank account that isn't from the US.

Login to Me Too

robsteer
Contributor
Contributor

It depens how the reund was issued, normaly refunds are processed through paypal instantly unless they are sent as an echeck.

If the refund is showing as 'Completd' on PayPal then that means it is already on its way to the card issuer and will be the standard timeframe of refunding to your card (Usally3-4 business days, it can take up to 7 though, depending).

🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As this is a cancelled payment and not a refund it works like this >>>

When you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credit the seller for you and then start the process of uploading your funds to paypal from your funding source.

This is done so you get your item more quickly.

So when you cancel that payment (as the seller can't accept it), those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.