CAR SALE VIA AUTOTRADER... PAYMENT THROUGH PAYPAL

FG19_02
I am selling my car on Autotrader and recieved a message from an interested buyer. Luckily I understand the sale process well and questioned them on it, stating that I needed a face to face buyer to sign the logbook. HOWEVER for people less aware of the process this is an easy SCAM to fall for. As this didnt add up to me i searched on the web and found HUNDREDS of people with the same message
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Car Scam.

Be VERY careful selling cars/large items if the buyer is keen to use paypal and states they are working abroad or sending to a friend etc and need a shipping agent to pick it up..

You then get a FAKE paypal email saying you have been paid extra so you can pay the shipping agent for them via western union and the payment is released to you after you have done that.

It is a scam to get that western union payment, they don't want your car and the shipping agent is just a scam to get that payment.

They are nearly always in Nigeria and can't even own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PMichelle2015
Contributor
Contributor
I listed my car for sell on autotrader last week. Got an interested buyer the first day stating he would purchase my car for my asking price using PayPal. He wanted to purchase it right away, even though I stated in the ad that I wouldn't release the car for another 3 weeks. He insisted on having my pay pal info and would send someone to pick it up without him seeing It in person first. He was buying it for a gift . He would take care of the PayPal fees. He's not even trying to get me to the lower the price. He did ask me to send engine photos. He goes by the name of Marc Bruce. Im suspicious.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Read my post above AND remember also there is no seller protection on paypal for motor vehicles.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

falvarez
New Community Member
Hello, I just got the same interested buyer. I was wondering what happened at the end with this buyer? Would love to hear about your experience.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.