Being charged a fee to send money to friends with debit card

VRX

Hi there. I have been trying to send moeny to friends today with my debit card. Paypal SAYS there are no fees when sending money with a debit card yet you're stupid system thinks i am using a credit card and is charging me for that when i have a DEBIT CARD. Is this how paypal trys to scam people out of their money these days? Advertising something as free then charging for it is illegal in this part of the world

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VRX

Its not our stupid system, we have nothing to do with paypal.

HOWEVER when you click to send funds > family / friends it does say free with a debit card BUT its not.

As per the user agreement you pay if you use ANY CARD.

A1.1 Domestic Personal Transaction payment Fees

Note that either the sender or the recipient pays the Fee, not both. Please see A4.2.3 of this Schedule 1 for more information.

Activity

Fee for payment fully funded by:
- PayPal Balance
- Bank

Fee for payment fully or partially funded by
- Debit card and/or
- Credit Card

Sending or Receiving

Free (when no currency conversion is involved)

3.4% + Fixed Fee

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

VRX

Then they need to change that as its illegal to charge for something thats advertised as being free...

Login to Me Too

01Taffy
New Community Member
Says this on the help pages It’s free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved.
Login to Me Too

nickinoo1
Contributor
Contributor
Yep this is PayPal system I'm trying tog et over ,£80 in charges refunded what a joke they have refunded £47 but not the rest!! Sick of rubbish replies and false promises looks like the small claims court will be next they said I would be refunded within 72 hours guess what that's nearly up . So it is your system it doesn't recognize MasterCard debit apparently as a debit card and they are unablet o change it . They need to amend their guidelines and information to reflectt his I believe !
Login to Me Too

Pierrot37
New Community Member

I'm not amused by the fact a friend sent me the 300 quid he owed me and I've been ripped off with £11 charges.

that will be the last time I accept a repayment via PayPal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pierrot37

If she had funded it via bank transfer from her bank account OR funds in her paypal account balance it would have been FREE.

You are only charged if you use a debit or credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.