Android App stopped displaying activity notifications

shroomgophus
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using the Paypal Android app for a long time now & have found it very good.

I have become used to getting notifications for payments received & sent shown automatically in the top bar & pull down menu but recently these have stopped.

I noticed this seemed to coincide with an app update of which there have been several & when I go into the app settings menu I find that Notifications are turned Off. Although I turn them back on again, even checking later to see they are still turned on, upon getting a sale or making a payment the notifications fail & they are again set to off in settings. This is driving me Mad & I cant find any info on the subject.. Is anyone else having the same problem or know what's going on ? Please help.

I am running a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with A 4.1.2 Jellybean & have had no problem till recently.

Cheers, shroom

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_david

Hey Shroomgophus,

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear what has happened here.

Can I ask you if you have tried to delete the app and reinstall it? It's very strange that the notifications keep turning off automatically.

If you try deleting and reinstalling the app and you get the same result, can I ask you if your phone has been unlocked or rooted? This is something that you do to unlock your android phone. If it is rooted, that could be what the issue is.

David.

Login to Me Too

shroomgophus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David & thanks.

No I havn't tried uninstalling yet but will give it a go. My phone is Not rooted & never been Sim locked either as it's sim free so no brand bloatware etc (apart from stock Samsung).

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to save the settings either except checking the tick box to enable notifications.

The wierd thing is that if I check back later the settings seem enabled still but once there's been activity then No notification & the setting are again turned off. As I said before.. it was fine untill a spate of updates so I had thought perhaps there was a bug with the 1st 1 & they were trying to correct it, hence my surprise at finding no complaints about it.

Your suggestion for a fresh installation is I am sure the best way forward with this but will have to await a new sale or pay for something before I will know if it works or not.

Thanks again for your help & I will post back with the outcome once I know.

Cheers, shroom

Login to Me Too

shroomgophus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,,,, Ok Well since my last post I have uninstalled the App & re-installed it, Made sure notification setting were turned ON both within the App & also ticked in the downloaded apps setting in application manager on my phone. I have been regularly checking these setting have remained ON & today received a refund for an eBay item I returned. This Didn't show a notification but upon checking the setting notifications was still ON. Then later on, in fact just now I took a payment for an eBay sale for which I would normally expect the paypal app to notify me. This failed & upon checking setting I found notifications had turned themselves OFF again.

This situation is driving me to distraction,, Again, please help.

Kind regards, shroom

Login to Me Too

mazz_1904
New Community Member

I am also having the same problem on my samsung phone. Every time I go into notifactions and tick the boxes to recieve the notifications it saves at the time but then when I go back in they have turned off.

I have also logged onto a computer to try to get the notifactions to save that way but Im still having the same problem with it. 

As i use my phone for Paypal its become a bit of a pain.

If there is a solution I would also be grateful for the help with this issue 

Mazz_1904

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi mazz_1904,

Welcome to our community. 🙂

I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. I pass this info to our technical team. I would suggest doing some trouble shooting. Please re-installing the app, make sure your phone version and app version is up to date.

I hope this info helps.

Arda

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.