Am I being scammed?

Loftie12
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, so I'm selling an item on Gumtree, I then had a reply message from a potential buyer asking for my final selling price and to email them. Emailed them and I had a very odd offer of almost 50% more than my asking price if I were to send them to Nigeria for his son. I've never been targeted by fakes or scams before, and if I'm perfectly honest I just thought the guy was pretty **bleep** eager to buy them. I accepted his offer and he asked for my PayPal email to send over the payment of 90GBP, to which I did. 8 hours later and I receive 2 email "apparently from PayPal" but in fact with the email adress pp123_careless"at"mail2world.com. confirming that I had paid 90.00GBP to my own email address! Example: 123"at"mail.com thank you for paying 123"at"mail.com 90.00GBP. This is when alarm bells started ringing and at first I was panicking that these funds had been taken from my account, but checked my account and my bank account and nothing is showing. I also noticed in these two emails that it was showing as an eBay transaction! This morning I have recieved another 2 emails stating to confirm that the buyer has sent the payment but this is pending release once paypal receives the tracking number to the same address I wrote above. And now as I type this the buyer has emailed me asking me to send the item asap as it's his sons birthday!! Now I'm pretty convinced this is a scam at its best, with a few give aways within the emails. Can anyone confirm this, and also put my mind at ease in telling me whether they can now access my PayPal and bank account now they have my email? Kind Regards
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loftie12

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Loftie12
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for your quick reply, I thought that might be the case, I was just a little concerned that he may have had access to my PayPal account after. Thank you again.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.