How does this scam work?

SDHinAB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. 

I am new to this, so looking for some expertise.

I am selling an expensive ( 2,500.) item.  A large/heavy dining table and 8 chairs. This 'buyer' wants to pay by PayPal because it's 'safe' and then his 'shipper' will pick up the item. (this not on e-bay, BTW) To make it even MORE unbelievable, he says he is in the UK .. and I am in Canada. 

Now, I know this makes no sense, no way would anyone buy my item for that price without checking it out. What I don't understand, is where is the scam? 

I know he isn't going to actually pick up this item, so it's not about 'getting something for free' -- so how does this scam work for him? 

I don't get it ... any experienced folk out there can explain this to me? 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Jeffrey1
New Community Member

I'm not sure myself!!!!

I am having the same issue with a Jeanette from the UK.  They advised that they would be sending the money through PayPal and pay for the shipping.  They asked that we ship the product to Mayfair UK and the receivers name would be Shawn ******.

Login to Me Too

WhatNerve
New Community Member

Received a message from a "Jeanette" from the UK as well.  Thought it was too good to be true.  Be careful out there!!

Login to Me Too

wilkanomics
New Community Member

Don't Respond to That Person!!! It is a scam. They are just trying to pry for more information. They will tell you that they tried to set up an account but failed or some other story. Then they will ask if they can send it your bank account or credit card. They will ask for your info and then all your money will disappear. If they claim they are from over seas without looking at the item forget it and walk away. My brother ran into people like this. They are all over the internet. Sell locally. Just my advice from past experiences. There are many stroies out there about this sort of stuff.

Login to Me Too

Naomi_WTF
Contributor
Contributor

OMG?!! I got some guy on an offshore oil rig wants to buy my truck sight unseen for full asking price and can I please forward the extra $950. he sends thru' western union to the shipper's HQ in the UK..

Login to Me Too

SDHinAB
Contributor
Contributor

Nice to get so many responses to this .. but ... still doesn't answer the question: HOW DOES THE SCAMMER BENEFIT? 

If they don't get the goods, where is the payoff ?

What is the point? 

Login to Me Too

Naomi_WTF
Contributor
Contributor
A friend told me that while we wait for the payment to clear we send the payment for shipping and the payment is stopped ... I don't understand either really 😞 but have seen that many have been taken $10000. In debt as result 😞
Login to Me Too

SDHinAB
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal CLAIMS to be 'safe' -- according to what you say, then, they allow people to WITHDRAW a payment OR they don't make sure it's GOOD before they post to the sellers' account ? 

So ... it's not 'safe' after all ??? 

Doesn't matter though, in this scam ... it's unlikely that a car or motorbike or anything big/expensive is ever shipped .. so I still don't get how the scam works, especially since it's so OBVIOUSLY a scam

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

Your gut instincts are serving you well. When the circumstances of a transaction set off that tingle of apprehension, it's definitely worth a second look to evaluate your risks. Could the buyer be paying in fraudulent funds? Is there a risk that when the real owner of those funds discovers the theft, the transaction could be reversed?

PayPal has a lot of ways to protect you, one of which is Seller Protection. The criteria for Seller Protection even help prevent fraud in the first place. For instance, a policy of shipping only to the address in the transaction details and using online tracking (with signature if over $250) will help eliminate a lot of potential fraud because a fraudster will lose interest once they realize you won't fall for their ploys. Even if they proceed, following all the guidelines of Seller Protection will keep you protected if the funds turn out to be unauthorized.

There's also the concern that wilkanomics brought up. Is the buyer going to bait you into giving even more information? Then there's the scenario Naomi_WTF presented - are there out-of-pocket expenses that will result from this transaction?

There certainly may legitimately be a reason for shipping a heavy and expensive item abroad. I know of one person who'd been looking all over for a specific and rare kind of furniture and was perfectly happy to pay the shipping costs to have it delivered across an ocean. Still, caution is definitely recommended in situations like the ones described here.

Here are some links you might find helpful in learning more about scams online:

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Scams and Fraud  (great overview of various issues to watch for online)

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (more great information on both online and offline scams)

There's also a thread here with examples of suspected fraud.

Please come back and let us know if you found this helpful!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.