button drop down options not working

down2
Contributor
Contributor

hi there, i hope someone can help with my button issue. 

First off i made 4 buttons that worked fine. 

How my button works: 

My button was designed to give users the option to pay monthly or yearly. The price the customer pays is different depending on what option they pick. The options they can pick are added to the button via the drop-down functionality. 

(Add a dropdown menu with prices and options).

I also added a text box customers can add text into. 

Then a simple buy now button at the end. 

I had the button set up so it worked fine. When you selected option 1 (monthly) you were taken to a paypal screen with the monthly price and the usual paypal payment process worked. 

When you selected option 2 (yearly) you were taken to the a paypal screen with the yearly price and the usual paypal payment process etc worked.

NOW:

When i select either option 1 or option 2 on my button it always displays option 1's price. So if i select the yearly drop- down option(option2) and click buy the following paypal screen displays option 1's price (the monthly price) which is clearly wrong. 

So im asking... Why is my paypal drop-down menu on my button not working. 

This error now happens accross all 4 of my buttons that once worked. 

I have tried deleting all the buttons and recreating them and added them to the site agin. Still the buttons dont work?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graeme

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Perfect, thanks for the example, I believe I found your issue.

Look at the code below from your item button:

<option value="Make my payments">Make my payments : £3.99 GBP - monthly</option>
	<option value="Make my payments">Make my payments : £43.89 GBP - yearly</option>

The "option value" Make my payments is the same for both options.  That name has to be unique.  That's why you get 3.99 for each choice.

Suggest going back to My Saved Buttons and either recreate or edit the button code.  You just need to have two different value names, like Make my monthly payment and Make my yearly payment.   If you don't change the text, PayPal just inserts Option 1 and Option 2.  From PayPal's side, it's doing exactly what you're telling it to do, don't you just hate that.

Last tip, before you test your code, delete your browser's cookies, temp files and history, close the browser, reopen it and then test,   this gives you a clean start each time.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest doing some basic testing.  Copy each button to a blank HTML page, nothing else should on the page, just the button code, then test it.  If it works, then it's not a PayPal issue, it's a problem with either your HTML Editor or web site.  The PayPal item button code is simply an HTML Form, some web sites and/or HTML Editors handle the Forms in different ways.  As we can't see your item button code or try it, just copy the code to a blank page and try it.  You can easily do this from your computer, no need to upload the code to a web site. 

Login to Me Too

down2
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there, 

Thanks for the great idea on testing the button...

When selecting option 2 on my button (yearly) and click buy now the paypal screen that loads on the following page has the monthly price on it (option1). 

So now we know this is a paypal fault? 

Where do we progress from here? 

http://www.down2hosting.com/testpage.html
here is the link of my test page if you wish to try it?

Thanks

Graeme

Login to Me Too
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Perfect, thanks for the example, I believe I found your issue.

Look at the code below from your item button:

<option value="Make my payments">Make my payments : £3.99 GBP - monthly</option>
	<option value="Make my payments">Make my payments : £43.89 GBP - yearly</option>

The "option value" Make my payments is the same for both options.  That name has to be unique.  That's why you get 3.99 for each choice.

Suggest going back to My Saved Buttons and either recreate or edit the button code.  You just need to have two different value names, like Make my monthly payment and Make my yearly payment.   If you don't change the text, PayPal just inserts Option 1 and Option 2.  From PayPal's side, it's doing exactly what you're telling it to do, don't you just hate that.

Last tip, before you test your code, delete your browser's cookies, temp files and history, close the browser, reopen it and then test,   this gives you a clean start each time.

Login to Me Too

down2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much! 

This was really starting to bug me. 

Paypal should have some info informing me that the options cannot be named the same. 

Anyhow its all fully working again now! 

Graeme

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's not just PayPal, it's the same in the database world.  Glad you have it sorted out.  All the best.  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Andreius
New Community Member
Bingo - thank you! 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.