Website Payments Pro UK - Exactly which Card Types are accepted?

Tonkington
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me exactly which card types Website Payments Pro UK will accept?

The options I have are Visa, MasterCard, Solo, Maestro, AmericanExpress and Discover.

The reason I ask is that to the best of my knowledge I only really see payments from customers coming in from Visa and MasterCard. With AmericanExpress the customer always gets a 10566 unsupported card type decline, not sure about the others though.

Is AmericanExpress outright unsupported? and what about Solo, Maestro and Discover too?

Any factual info would clear up some confusion for me.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Found this snippet from:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/paypal-payments-pro/integration-guide/WPWebsitePaymentsPro...

Regional Differences

PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment) is available in the United States. It is also known as Website Payments Pro which is available in Canada and the United Kingdom. Minor regional differences include transaction limits, the kinds of credit cards accepted, and address information.

The following sections identify regional differences:

Credit Cards

The following table lists the credit cards that are accepted:

Country Accepted credit cards

Canada
  • Visa
  • MasterCard

Note Interac debit cards are not accepted.

United Kingdom
  • Visa, including Visa Electron and Visa Debit
  • MasterCard
  • Maestro, including Switch
United States
  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Discover
  • American Express

MasterCard is a registered trademark.

Note For direct payment only, American Express restricts direct card acceptance merchants in certain business categories. Merchants are required to accept the American Express Card Acceptance agreement in order to process American Express cards directly.

Other notes:  In the past there was a separate agreement that was required for accepting American Express - not sure if the requirements have changed.   Suggest that you follow-up with Tech Support as they should have the latest information.

https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/home

Login to Me Too

Tonkington
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that reply, it was very helpful indeed.

Since starting this thread earlier today, I have contacted PayPal Technical Support, so I will see what they say. I just need to know which out of the following card types I can or cannot accept with 'Website Payments Pro UK', in concrete terms (mainly so I know which card logos to have displayed within my online stores checkout):

• Visa <-- definitely accepted
  • MasterCard <-- definitely accepted
  • Solo <-- Decommissioned and replaced by Switch, then in-turn Switch was replaced by Maestro.
  • Maestro <--Would seem to be accepted from the details given within your reply
  • Discover <-- Seems not accepted by WPP UK, will try find out as to why, from the Technical Support Team.
  • American Express <-- Seems not accepted by WPP UK, will try find out as to why, from the Technical Support Team.

Yes there is an American Express agreement which was formed in 2010, however with myself having signed up for Website Payments Pro UK in 2009, I'm not sure if I'm automatically accepted to that agreement or not, or moreover maybe the aforementioned agreement only applies to WWP USA and hence maybe WWP UK simply doesn't accept American Express. To be continued...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.